Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrputer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2021
Under Touch ID & Passcode, iPhone Unlock is greyed out. I cannot turn it on. Is this by design? If it IS turned on, does that mean when I lift the phone I can bypass taping the Home button? Thank you

mrputer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2021
That's why I'm confused. Touch ID has been set up for weeks.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I tried disabling it on mine, and nope. You still have to press Home to unlock the phone since there's no more swipe to unlock. The setting you mentioned only means whether the iPhone would use TouchID to unlock the phone or not. If it's disabled, the iPhone will ask for passcode after you press the home button.

Not sure why it is disabled. Try rebooting your phone. Did you happen to repair the display of the iPhone? I heard repairs form 3rd parties sometimes can disable the TouchID.

Speaking of not having to press home to unlock, My solution is to enable "Rest finger to open" in accessibility setting of the Home Button. So to unlock my iPhone, I can just rest my finger on top of the home button without needing to press it to unlock my phone.

mrputer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2021
Thank you,Ian, for your post. I, too, use Rest Finger...

The setting you mentioned only means whether the iPhone would use TouchID to unlock the phone or not. If it's disabled, the iPhone will ask for passcode after you press the home button.

Odd, it s disabled and I turned off passcode option a while ago and am not asked for it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The iPhone 7 has a hardware fault on some units that will grey out wifi and cellular for quite a while after booting up. It's possible that something similar has happened to your phone - hardware issue

mrputer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2021
Thanks, Taz, but I don't want to have to reset my settings. I certainly can live with my phone's current status. Was curious about why iPhone unlock was greyed out, but since this doesn't interfere with how the phone works, I'll leave it as is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.