Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antr7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Hello everyone

Quick question for everyone. I purchased my iPhone 11 Pro under the iPhone Upgrade Program and will trade it in for the new 12 Pro. When I checked out it had me pay the taxes in full for the 11 pro and then for the 12 pro too. Do we get the extra tax money back after the trade in?

Thanks

dyfine

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
You should have paid taxes for the 12 Pro - you don't get that back later. It is the sales tax for the purchase and the tax doesn't get financed. However, you shouldn't have been taxed for the 11 Pro today - you would have paid that already when you started the IUP on that phone last year. Definitely contact Apple if you've now paid tax twice for the 11 Pro (last year and today)

Reactions: Antr7

Antr7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
You should have paid taxes for the 12 Pro - you don't get that back later. It is the sales tax for the purchase and the tax doesn't get financed. However, you shouldn't have been taxed for the 11 Pro today - you would have paid that already when you started the IUP on that phone last year. Definitely contact Apple if you've now paid tax twice for the 11 Pro (last year and today)

Thanks for the info, it is our first time upgrading on the program.

Yeah we weren’t charged with for the taxes again for the 11 Pro just the new taxes on the 12 Pro. At first I thought you might get some of the tax money back for the 11 Pro for the 11 months we are not paying on it by trading it back in, almost in the way when you trade a car in but when you look at the Apple trade value for the phone of $450 and what we owe on the trade in program of around $616 it almost makes up for paying the full amount of taxes upfront and you still. The companies have this all figured out lol

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for the info, it is our first time upgrading on the program.

Yeah we weren’t charged with for the taxes again for the 11 Pro just the new taxes on the 12 Pro. At first I thought you might get some of the tax money back for the 11 Pro for the 11 months we are not paying on it by trading it back in, almost in the way when you trade a car in but when you look at the Apple trade value for the phone of $450 and what we owe on the trade in program of around $616 it almost makes up for paying the full amount of taxes upfront and you still. The companies have this all figured out lol
Sales Tax is completely dependent on the state. In CA, you don't get sales tax back when trading a vehicle in. I only know of one state that does that off-hand (TN), even though I'm sure there are plenty more. Also, Apple doesn't keep the sales tax, it goes to the state.

Reactions: Antr7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.