Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashton18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
Hello! I'm planning on buying two new iPhone 7's tonight using the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.

I have some questions.

- Will I be able to pre-order through the Apple Store app and enroll in the program from there?

- Will I be able to have the phones shipped to my house or do I have to pick them up at the store?

- Will I have to take a picture of my ID to enroll in the program?

- I know that I can only order one iPhone per transaction (according to the fine print). But I need 2. Will I be able to place an order and then go back and place another order separately? What are the odds of the bank in charge of the IUP denying a 2nd loan in less than 5 min?

*Also, I already have a service plan with AT&T.

Thanks!

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Hello! I'm planning on buying two new iPhone 7's tonight using the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.

I have some questions.

- Will I be able to pre-order through the Apple Store app and enroll in the program from there?

- Will I be able to have the phones shipped to my house or do I have to pick them up at the store?

- Will I have to take a picture of my ID to enroll in the program?

- I know that I can only order one iPhone per transaction (according to the fine print). But I need 2. Will I be able to place an order and then go back and place another order separately? What are the odds of the bank in charge of the IUP denying a 2nd loan in less than 5 min?

*Also, I already have a service plan with AT&T.

Thanks!

There's a lot of conflicting information on whether you can complete the process online only or not. Guess I'll know at 3am EDT

Reactions: ashton18

ashton18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
Just chatted with Apple and Citizens bank..

Apple told me that I would be able to apply for the iPhone Upgrade Program through the Apple Store app and that they would check my credit instantly through the app. There, I'll find out whether I'm approved or not.

Apple also told me that I would have the option to have it shipped to my house. I do NOT have to pick it up in store if I don't want to.

All I need (in the app) is my driver's license number and expiration date. SSN and AT&T account info (login and password).

They also told me to order one first and then go back and order the second one in a separate transaction.

-

Citizens Bank told me that I can only have 2 loans for the iPhone Upgrade Program in my name if I were to do it through the app or website. They told me that if I went to the Apple Store I can apply for more (but only in store).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: rawlus and Z3roFlaw

ashton18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles

Apple told me that I would be able to apply for the iPhone Upgrade Program through the Apple Store app and that they would check my credit instantly through the app. There, I'll find out whether I'm approved or not.

Apple also told me that I would have the option to have it shipped to my house. I do NOT have to pick it up in store if I don't want to.

All I need (in the app) is my driver's license number and expiration date. SSN and AT&T account info (login and password).

They also told me to order one first and then go back and order the second one in a separate transaction.

-

Citizens Bank told me that I can only have 2 loans for the iPhone Upgrade Program in my name if I were to do it through the app or website. They told me that if I went to the Apple Store I can apply for more (but only in store).

Hope this helps!

Confirmed with 2nd rep over the phone.

Reactions: Z3roFlaw

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016

-

Hope this helps!
For the SSN, is that a SSN that is associated with the att account? Or can I use my own as long as I have the login information. The att account is my dads that I am a user under.

Z3roFlaw

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
Can someone confirm if going through Apple's upgrade plan that each year you will have a hard credit check done on you when you upgrade? I haven't been able to get a solid answer on that. Would like to know if ATT Next doesn't do that since I may go with their upgrade plan since I don't plan on making use of having an unlocked phone if I stick with ATT as my carrier.

ashton18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
For the SSN, is that a SSN that is associated with the att account? Or can I use my own as long as I have the login information. The att account is my dads that I am a user under.

You're going to need the SSN for the person responsible for paying for the iPhone Upgrade Program loan. They told me it could be completely different from your ATT account.

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
This is going to be your SSN as you will be financing the phone, it has nothing to do with your ATT plan.

Reactions: ashton18

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Confirmed with 2nd rep over the phone.

I have heard that, but also that you have to go in store. So we will see tonight, hope you're right.
[doublepost=1473381507][/doublepost]
Can someone confirm if going through Apple's upgrade plan that each year you will have a hard credit check done on you when you upgrade? I haven't been able to get a solid answer on that. Would like to know if ATT Next doesn't do that since I may go with their upgrade plan since I don't plan on making use of having an unlocked phone if I stick with ATT as my carrier.

It is a hard check every year.

Martoony

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Hopefully!
Ok so this upgrade program is horrible if you want a chance of getting your upgrade on the 16th. Upgrading forces you to pick a store to make a reservation rather than shipping you a phone. The huge disadvantage? Stores have a lot less supply than getting a phone shipped from Apple. I got on at 12:01 PT and there were no phones left in any of the stores. However, if I had bought the phone as NEW phone on the upgrade program, they wouldve shipped by the 16th. I’m thinking it probably would’ve been better to buy a 7 as a new upgrade program phone, and pay off, then sell my 6s. Lame

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Not sure what you all are talking about with the 'pick a store.' I ordered this morning at 3:14AM using Apple's upgrade program. My order will be shipped to my home October 4-10.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
This is for an upgrade for people already on the upgrade plan from last year
I actually figured that after I pressed 'post reply.'

Honestly, I would rather pick up in store as UPS always delivers near the end of the day and I end up having to change it to 'hold for pickup' regardless. I also love the excitement of the Apple Store on Launch Day.

Sheboygan

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2016
St Louis, USA
Ok so this upgrade program is horrible if you want a chance of getting your upgrade on the 16th. Upgrading forces you to pick a store to make a reservation rather than shipping you a phone. The huge disadvantage? Stores have a lot less supply than getting a phone shipped from Apple. I got on at 12:01 PT and there were no phones left in any of the stores. However, if I had bought the phone as NEW phone on the upgrade program, they wouldve shipped by the 16th. I’m thinking it probably would’ve been better to buy a 7 as a new upgrade program phone, and pay off, then sell my 6s. Lame

And that's what I did by mistake-- bought the NEW 7+ with the Upgrade Program to be shipped to my home. Called Apple to explain I wanted to Upgrade, not purchase another and asked if I should cancel? They confirmed, No- take delivery on the 16th and take that phone to a store and return it and then purchase it as your upgrade for the IUP. I know this will be full of frustration, but if it does work I won't be waiting until November.

VandyZ

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
I have heard that, but also that you have to go in store. So we will see tonight, hope you're right.
[doublepost=1473381507][/doublepost]

It is a hard check every year.

Are you sure about that? I am pretty sure they do some soft check via the credit card company of the card you use. I monitor my credit like a hawk with 2 different monitoring services, and last year upon signing up I had no hard pulls.

igrover

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007

Is this because you need to return your old phone to Apple to get the new phone? Sorry to ask such a basic question however I do not know how the upgrade program actually works.

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
i suppose if you held onto the phone until you owned it, then you wouldnt be "upgrading" anymore and could still do a home delivery situation if you wanted. i think the return phone is for the people who are upgrading mid-financing, where the returned phone is what is paying of the balance of what you owe... so i can sort of understand why they would not want to send the new phone to your home if you still owed 50% on the phone you are supposed to return.

Martoony

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Is this because you need to return your old phone to Apple to get the new phone? Sorry to ask such a basic question however I do not know how the upgrade program actually works.
Yes it is. But they could easily have set up the program so they ship you the new one, and if you don't return the old one after 30 days or so, you get charged what you still owe. That would allow people to still get a launch day shipment and take their old one in at their leisure. Kind of like Gazelle.

Martoony

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
And that's what I did by mistake-- bought the NEW 7+ with the Upgrade Program to be shipped to my home. Called Apple to explain I wanted to Upgrade, not purchase another and asked if I should cancel? They confirmed, No- take delivery on the 16th and take that phone to a store and return it and then purchase it as your upgrade for the IUP. I know this will be full of frustration, but if it does work I won't be waiting until November.
Let me know if that works out. I'll remember that for next year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.