Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
So after using the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program last year with the iPhone XS Max, I'm getting the 11 Pro this year but I can't remember what helps in the mere minutes at the start of launch. Is it better to have the 11 Pro shipped to my house (and then also await the return box) or should I choose a store instead? I sort of recall the seconds deciding on one of the other could be days or weeks before getting the phone itself.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Past 2 years, I have done the in-store pick up. I believe I may do that this year again. I prefer the in-store pick up method because then I can just trade in right there and close out my old loan and start a new one. Plus I don't have to wait for Apple to ship me a box to send the phone to and I'll let Apple Store handle that when I trade it in directly.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks for the reminder - that makes a lot of sense. When I did the pre-authorization, I think billing and shipping address were my home address. I assume I can change that to 'store pickup' when I actually order the phone tomorrow?

wi1dstar

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I had trouble with ship to store last year. I was signed up for the first slot of the day on launch day. The iPhones were delayed in shipment and they did not have my phone available. I ended up having to get a different capacity phone than I wanted just because they weren’t sure when the shipment with my phone was coming in. I think either way things can happen that may effect getting your phone on time.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for the reminder - that makes a lot of sense. When I did the pre-authorization, I think billing and shipping address were my home address. I assume I can change that to 'store pickup' when I actually order the phone tomorrow?
Yes, att check out, if the available for pick up is available, you should be able to choose that Apple Store and choose the time, so then the shipping address would be irrelevant in that cas

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Me personally, I prefer to open the box in store, in front of an employee just in case there's any issues with the phone. After having an instance where a phone arrived damaged (not an iPhone) I had an awful battle with Verizon trying to prove I didn't damage the phone. Just my opinion anyway.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Pickup (and handing off the "return"/giveback) in the store means there's instant closure on the whole process - just one less thing to think about/do.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Past 2 years, I have done the in-store pick up. I believe I may do that this year again. I prefer the in-store pick up method because then I can just trade in right there and close out my old loan and start a new one. Plus I don't have to wait for Apple to ship me a box to send the phone to and I'll let Apple Store handle that when I trade it in directly.

All of the above, PLUS the vibe at the Apple Store on launch day is super cool, and my store has staff that has been there for years and actually remembers me from previous launch days. It's a fun experience.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I prefer the store as I can physically hand them my old phone so there's no chance of it either be damaged in shipping or the person receiving it dropping it.

Plus, it beats waiting as home ALL day for UPS or FedEx to deliver my package last.

Store ambiance is cool.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Ive got a bit of a dilemma on this one. I won’t be home until after 5PM that day so I’m not sure if they’ll come early or not and they require a signature in person. The store is probably 30+ minutes away though.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Ive got a bit of a dilemma on this one. I won’t be home until after 5PM that day so I’m not sure if they’ll come early or not and they require a signature in person. The store is probably 30+ minutes away though.
Yup a signature is required for delivery.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I’ve gone back and forth between pickup in store and UPS.
If your not home when UPS arrives, your waiting until Monday.
Last year, apparently there were issues with shipments to stores and homes due to something with customs so a lot of people had issues either way. I’m guessing that was a one off issue though.

I go by pickup Times now. If nothing is available in the morning, I choose UPS and I usually have them hold it at the distribution center so I could pick up first thing. I always throw this out there. If ordering from UPS, unless it’s distribution center, don’t use the option to pickup at another location or you will have to wait until Monday.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I prefer to be in the comfort of my recliner as the UPS or Fedex guy knocks on my door. There was a time I enjoyed the luster and excitement at the Apple store but now it’s more of a pain in the a$$.

Reactions: edlex

olliedent

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
I’ve gone back and forth between pickup in store and UPS.
If your not home when UPS arrives, your waiting until Monday.
Last year, apparently there were issues with shipments to stores and homes due to something with customs so a lot of people had issues either way. I’m guessing that was a one off issue though.

I go by pickup Times now. If nothing is available in the morning, I choose UPS and I usually have them hold it at the distribution center so I could pick up first thing. I always throw this out there. If ordering from UPS, unless it’s distribution center, don’t use the option to pickup at another location or you will have to wait until Monday.

Do you know if the pick up times are only on the Friday or could I select a pick up time on the Saturday?

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I prefer to be in the comfort of my recliner as the UPS or Fedex guy knocks on my door. There was a time I enjoyed the luster and excitement at the Apple store but now it’s more of a pain in the a$$.

I totally agree. In the first couple of years of IUP you had to pickup at the store and, at my local Apple store, that means lining up outside in over 90 degree humid heat until it's your turn. No thank you. Now that you can follow the UPS driver I know when he is close by as well. I'll be home and comfy talking on Macrumors waiting for my new toy!

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Do you know if the pick up times are only on the Friday or could I select a pick up time on the Saturday?

If you are referring to UPS, they close weekends. If you mean Apple, as long as your order is available, it should be 7 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.