Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Do you routinely use your phone with one or both hands?

• Total voters

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
After reading some of the replies I think it depends on the primary usage modality of the individual. I classify the activities performed on the iPhone into 3 major categories: 1. Consuming (reading, surfing, watching videos, scrolling social media), 2. Authoring (typing out messages, emails, creating documents), and 3. Interacting (playing games, marking up documents, editing photos).

It sounds like (1) - consuming - can be done 1-handed by many people on all device sizes. (2) authoring is the most difficult to perform 1-handed. I don’t know how anyone can reach the send button in mail or the ‘+’ button in calendar with their thumb without serious device shifting and sliding. (3) interacting also seems difficult to perform 1-handed.

I personally perform a lot of authoring so 1 handed usage even on a 6.1” device is challenging

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
One-handed except when typing. That’s one reason I’m so frustrated at the disappearance of small phones. I need to be able to use mine while holding a subway pole or carrying groceries, and it’s also handy to be able to use it while holding a fork or sandwich. Even the mini is stretching the size and weight at which that’s possible without a pop socket or similar.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
As I’m reading this thread I’m holding with one hand and scrolling with my thumb of the same hand. But now that I’m replaying to this thread I’m holding in one hand and using the index finger of the other hand to type & …hit Post reply

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I used to do everything one-handed up through iPhone SE1, and always felt proficient, comfortable, and secure doing so (getting used to QuickPath was key). And this was without the aid of any accessory, not even a skin. Now that I have an SE3 (I chose it over a Mini due to Touch ID), I can only manage to use it one-handed after I applied a skin for more grip, and while I’m decently proficient, it’s not nearly as comfortable nor secure, so there are more hand adjustments I have to do, and I will only do it in certain situations where I feel safe (no risk of getting bumped, etc.). I really miss my smaller iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.