Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I'm a longtime Mac user, first on-boarding to the platform in 1986. But I'm a recent customer for iPhone, having bought a third-generation iPhone SE in the Spring of 2022.

MY HARDWARE:
iMac late-2013 (MacOS Mojave)
M1 Mac Mini (MacOS Sonoma 14.1)
iPhone SE 3 (iOS 16.6.1)
iPad Mini 2 (iOS 12.4.7)

other family members in our household also use Macs of varying vintage; our AppleID accounts are cojoined as a "family" to share purchases. We recently set up the "family")

My question is about Apple's iPhone "Wallet" and the AppleID accounts.

I may have set up my AppleID (and, I assume, the "family") to be connected to the family bank account's debit card. I am not sure if my iPhone's wallet is set up yet.

The family debit card was shut down recently by the bank over a security issue (suspicious purchase, which we did not allow). The bank issued another edbit card, but that took over a week to get to us.

Questions:

1: how do I check my iPhone's wallet to see if the invalidated debit card is stored there? How do I change to the newly-issued debit card?

2: How do I check the AppleID / "family" to see if the invalidated debit card is stored there? How do I change to the newly-issued debit card?

3: I already configured the McDonald's app (and possibly other stores/ restaurants) to tap that old debit card. How do I check that, and how do I point them to the new card?

4: While I'm at it, I thought I would ask about the Apple credit card. How hard is it to activate one? Can a consumer with an Apple Card buy refurbished goods off of the Apple Store? Is there any security advantage to an Apple Card?

5: The most common places where the family debit card is used are big corporate retail chains, like Aldi, Walmart, Country Fair (gas station/convenience store), the U.S. Postal Service, Tractor Supply, Inc., and occasionally Amazon's web-stores. (Rarely used on eBay; no purchases there recently.) We keep having to call the bank to have the card replaced; this is the third of fourth time in the last twelve months. Is there a way to find a credit card and/or debit card with greater security/less hassle?

Thanks in advance.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm a longtime Mac user, first on-boarding to the platform in 1986. But I'm a recent customer for iPhone, having bought a third-generation iPhone SE in the Spring of 2022.

MY HARDWARE:
iMac late-2013 (MacOS Mojave)
M1 Mac Mini (MacOS Sonoma 14.1)
iPhone SE 3 (iOS 16.6.1)
iPad Mini 2 (iOS 12.4.7)

other family members in our household also use Macs of varying vintage; our AppleID accounts are cojoined as a "family" to share purchases. We recently set up the "family")

My question is about Apple's iPhone "Wallet" and the AppleID accounts.

I may have set up my AppleID (and, I assume, the "family") to be connected to the family bank account's debit card. I am not sure if my iPhone's wallet is set up yet.

The family debit card was shut down recently by the bank over a security issue (suspicious purchase, which we did not allow). The bank issued another edbit card, but that took over a week to get to us.

Questions:

1: how do I check my iPhone's wallet to see if the invalidated debit card is stored there? How do I change to the newly-issued debit card?

2: How do I check the AppleID / "family" to see if the invalidated debit card is stored there? How do I change to the newly-issued debit card?

3: I already configured the McDonald's app (and possibly other stores/ restaurants) to tap that old debit card. How do I check that, and how do I point them to the new card?

4: While I'm at it, I thought I would ask about the Apple credit card. How hard is it to activate one? Can a consumer with an Apple Card buy refurbished goods off of the Apple Store? Is there any security advantage to an Apple Card?

5: The most common places where the family debit card is used are big corporate retail chains, like Aldi, Walmart, Country Fair (gas station/convenience store), the U.S. Postal Service, Tractor Supply, Inc., and occasionally Amazon's web-stores. (Rarely used on eBay; no purchases there recently.) We keep having to call the bank to have the card replaced; this is the third of fourth time in the last twelve months. Is there a way to find a credit card and/or debit card with greater security/less hassle?

Thanks in advance.

1. Open the wallet app and find the card in question... tap the 3 dots (upper right corner) and choose Card Details.
2. That would be the payment method associated with your AppleID. Open the App Store. Tap your personal icon (upper right corner). Tap on your name. Tap on Manage Payments.
3. Edit the payment method in the McD's app
4. Applying is quick and easy. If approved, it gets added to your wallet automatically. No specific security advantages... with all cards used for Apple Pay you use a random, one-use number for each transactions. That alone makes all trans through Apple Pay secure.
5. See above... using Apple Pay alone will add a security feature in that is uses randomized, single-use card numbers for each transaction.

Reactions: Wingsley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.