Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hi,

Last night, my battery was low on my iPhone XS and I plugged it into the charger. However, I fell asleep leaving the the phone charging the whole night. Is this a problem?

Can the iPhone be left on a charger all night without causing damage to the phone?

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Not recommended from me

I know it’s common but I would just take charge to 100% then unplug it

try not to leave it on all night (in my opinion)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi,

Last night, my battery was low on my iPhone XS and I plugged it into the charger. However, I fell asleep leaving the the phone charging the whole night. Is this a problem?

Can the iPhone be left on a charger all night without causing damage to the phone?
It's fine. Plenty of people have been doing it for a long time.

Last edited:

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi,

What are you expecting to happen? Once it gets to 100% it doesn't charge more. I've been charging phones over night for the last 10+ years and never had a problem.

d.best.5205622

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
The phone is programmed to stop charging when full. I seen this question a million times and that’s the standard answer
I’ve done it too many times on my 7Plus and it’s still at 90%. That cube you plug your phone in is nothing more than an ac to dc adapter to power the ac charger circuit IN THE PHONE. That circuit determines when the battery is full and shuts things down
At least that what the experts say...

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi,

100% fine. Even more so with the latest iOS that learns when you wake up and only takes it to 100% close to that time.

DieselFiend1989

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019
It will be fine. Been doing it for years on ALL lithium battery devices. Never caused an issue. The phones are designed to NOT overcharge. Even my CS max which sits on a wireless charger all night every night still has 94% battery health after almost two years.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,

No kidding?

I do it each night. :rolleyes:

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I have been leaving my iPhone on the charger overnight ever since the days of the iPhone 3GS. You will be fine.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
This is one of the most asked questions on here.

There should be a sticky of iPhone FAQ, where these questions belong.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Battery wear wise: Leaving the phone plugged in all night or charging it to 100% then unplugging are exactly the same thing.
The charger turns off automatically when the battery hits 100% even when the iPhone is left plugged into the wall.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Battery wear wise: Leaving the phone plugged in all night or charging it to 100% then unplugging are exactly the same thing.
The charger turns off automatically when the battery hits 100% even when the iPhone is left plugged into the wall.
There's that, although there's also the part that it will or at least can start charging it back up after a little while when the battery might drop a bit. There's also the part that when it comes to maximizing battery life overall it's better for the battery not to be at or around the extremes (as in at or around 100% or 0%) too often or for too long. However, that's in relation to maximizing it, and not really about damaging it or anything like that.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
You did whaaat? I hope you realize your entire house could have blown up. You are very lucky!

;) Just kidding of course. I agree with the others who say that's perfectly fine. Anything else is paranoia. I don't think it's possible to overcharge any modern phone nor has it been for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.