Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Did Apple say anything about the release date in Canada? I couldn't find anything.

As for who they're going to partner with, It's obvious that they'll have to go with Rogers/Fido. They're the only GSM providers in Canada as far as I know.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I didn't see anything about Canada either. I'm still hoping you might be able to get an unlocked version of the phone to run on the Rogers network, but we'll see.
This this beats the crap out of my Sony Ericson w810i

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I didn't see anything about Canada either. I'm still hoping you might be able to get an unlocked version of the phone to run on the Rogers network, but we'll see.
This this beats the crap out of my Sony Ericson w810i
I did read somewhere that the iPhone will be sold in Apple Stores in the US, but it's probably locked to Cingular.

I have a Sony Ericsson K800i, I'm pretty happy with it now though :)

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
I was ready to buy one - but it'd have to have much, much more storage before I'd shell out. I think that my 30 Gig 5G is much too small for video (and, for that matter, my music library has grown to 10+ Gigs too in the last few years). Heck, my 5G is more than a year old!

I was hoping to replace by 5G and Blackberry with a single device. But, even if I got the iPhone, I'd still want to carry my 5G, so...

Now I'm hoping that a 6G will come out soon. I'd love a widescreen video iPod.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Okay, so what possible reason could they have for delaying it that far in Canada? I really don't get it. Moves / TV I understand issues but are you telling me Rogers is saying "Nahh, we're not sure, we'll wait and think about it".

Especially on the chance to stick it to Bell & Telus?

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
Okay, so what possible reason could they have for delaying it that far in Canada? I really don't get it. Moves / TV I understand issues but are you telling me Rogers is saying "Nahh, we're not sure, we'll wait and think about it".

My interpretation on the article is that he got confirmation of them going to offer it to Canadians :D, but wouldn't tell him a release date. He was just speculating the release date based on his previous observations of smart phones transitioning from the states to Canada. However, the BB Pearl was available the same month. (Maybe even same week, I forget.)

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

I could tell you several reasons:
1. Special tweaks to the network are probably required to get the features to work (voicemail). They may have only worked this out with Cingular.

2. Canadian-FCC(or whatever it is called) approval time might be different.

3. Special contract with Cingular that Apple can't sell it to any other network for a limited time?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Saw an interestin article in the Toronto Metro Today

Here's the article I saw and couldn't help but think of this thread.
Credit to Torstar News Service
Apple lovers here are venting their frustration at the lack of video content on iTunes and the low priority given to Canada after the lauch of the iPhone and Apple TV.
Available inFebruary, preorders for Apple TV in both the U.S. and Canada started Tuesday. But the Canadian iTunes store does not allow video downloading.
While the iPhone will be only available in the U.S. by June, in Europe by the end of the year and Asia by 2008, no dates have been announced for Canada. The Canadian market is just not big enough to attract the same attention given to the U.S., according to a report by Yankee Group, a technology and research firm.
In the article it also quotes statistics like 45% of households download music, and 25% view videos online, like on YouTube.

Personaly I'm kind of neutral on the whole deal... I'm not really in the market for a new cellphone so I can wait to get my iPhone. For AppleTV I really need more information on what can/can't be done with one before I consider buying it.

From a corporate perspective, this isn't the cleanest product roll-out ever. If you are going to launch a product it's one thing to come out as soon as possible; but when you don't have the supporting infrastructure ready in a number of eager markets you are going to rub consumers the wrong way.

BTW who's up on thier MWSF history? Is this the first time they've "lauched" products that aren't even availible yet anywhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.