Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I know it is likely to have been discussed but I can't find it, so I'm sorry if it is tedious. I'm used to macs but just thinking about getting a iPhone.

is it possible (with out extreme difficulty) to us the iPhone to connect to a home Wi-Fi network to make Voice over IP (eg Skype) calls? and use the ADSL connection ising the iPhone's broswer?

Would I need a wireless router to do this, or can I connect to my iMac via Wi-Fi, then use cabled ADSL Internet Gateway Router to witch my Mac is connected to access the net?

(I'm not asking for instructions, just if it is possable before I fork out for the phone.)

Thanks heaps.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
If I'm understanding you correctly, you will be able to do that by enabling internet sharing over 802.11b/g. If that's not what you're asking, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
is it possible (with out extreme difficulty) to us the iPhone to connect to a home Wi-Fi network to make Voice over IP (eg Skype) calls? and use the ADSL connection ising the iPhone's broswer?

Would I need a wireless router to do this, or can I connect to my iMac via Wi-Fi, then use cabled ADSL Internet Gateway Router to witch my Mac is connected to access the net?

I believe I read somewhere that VOIP is being worked on but as of right now you would have to jailbreak your iphone...

as for the the browser I believe you could use the iMac's broadcasted wifi.. but I dont believe it would have that great range/functionality I have cable and I use my iPod Touch with my wireless router all the time so I would recommend a wifi router but it is not completely necessary

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
What I want to be able to do is to access the internet to use the browser and make Voice over IP call at home using my iPhone.

I was hoping I could use the WiFi / 802.11b/g on on the iPhone to make a wireless network with my alu iMac allowing the iPhone to share the ADSL connection.

The iMac is connected to ADSL via the Ethernet port to a router. ie not a wireless router.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
What I want to be able to do is to access the internet to use the browser and make Voice over IP call at home using my iPhone.

I was hoping I could use the WiFi / 802.11b/g on on the iPhone to make a wireless network with my alu iMac allowing the iPhone to share the ADSL connection.

The iMac is connected to ADSL via the Ethernet port to a router. ie not a wireless router.

like I said you should be able to do a internet sharing from your iMac ** but I dont believe it would have that great range/functionality**

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.