Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenniferjoy175

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Please help, yesterday I noticed my iphone was not charging on my car charger. I brought it home and it will not charge on the coking port or on the computer. I get an error message that USB device Not recogized. Anyone know what to do? The nearest apple dealer is over an hour away and I need my phone for work, Im always on call. If I have to send it off I dont even have a sim card to activate an older phone while mine is being repaired!EERRRRR Help!!!!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Please help, yesterday I noticed my iphone was not charging on my car charger. I brought it home and it will not charge on the coking port or on the computer. I get an error message that USB device Not recogized. Anyone know what to do? The nearest apple dealer is over an hour away and I need my phone for work, Im always on call. If I have to send it off I dont even have a sim card to activate an older phone while mine is being repaired!EERRRRR Help!!!!

Try using a Gas Duster or Compressed Air to get the dust off the dock or the usb plug. Though it sounds as if you are due for a replacement iPhone. Sometimes you can short-out the iPhone with those car chargers, but the Apple Store will see it as a "software glitch" and you can get a replacement immediately. You can take the SIM card out of the current iPhone and put it in a $10 phone until you get yours replaced. Keep Us Advised.:(

jenniferjoy175

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Sooo..am I going to have to go to the apple store or do I just need to call? My phone is only 2 months old. Thanks

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
Sooo..am I going to have to go to the apple store or do I just need to call? My phone is only 2 months old. Thanks

Sorry for the delay; you can call and they'll walk you through a "hard-boot" where you hold down the Home Button and the Power Button at the same time and a couple of others, but it really sounds like you're experiencing "a software glitch" that cannot be fixed by the "hard-boot" so get to the Apple Store as soon as possible. Just let the Apple Store know that it's not charging and they should give you a replacement on the spot. Also, when was the last time you did a sync and SAVE on your computer? That's important, since you want to make sure all your contacts, iCal, etc. are saved for your replacement iPhone. Good Luck. :(

jenniferjoy175

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2008
hmmm sounds good but it will not sync with my computer....so I have no way to save the contacts....errr

jenniferjoy175

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2008
lol probably three months ago.....i dont use it with computer often

How do i remove sim card from the phone...i dont see where the back will come off

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

How do i remove sim card from the phone...i dont see where the back will come off

Sim card is on the top. Take a paperclip and push into hole. Tray will pop out.

If you haven't changed much in the last three months you can sync new phone to the old restore file that iTunes should of saved.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT

Sim card is not in the back...its on top. Should see a tiny hole, use a paper clip and insert gently in the little hole until you feel pressure...continue to press until the tray is released. It will slide out for removal of sim card.

The apple store will replace the sim for you when they replace your iPhone. Also, recommend you do not use that car charger again in the future.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
Yep, just follow the prompts by iTunes and you can get all your contacts, iCal, etc. and you'll be back up and running in no time. I brought my MacBook to the Apple Store back in October when I had a replacement for the exact same software glitch and no power, and they gave me a new replacement and I took my iPhone to the parking lot and did the iTunes activation on my MB in my car and it took about 10 minutes to activate and set up my contacts and all the extras. :cool: Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.