Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LWan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
I hope someone can help me with patience and a smile! I have been drooling all over the iPhone 3g and can not wait to get one. I have a 2 big issues that are holding me back though: Our family is currently on my husband's business plan, using Sprint/Nextel, & business pays for it. Also if I went on AT & T that would cost even more with my husbands phone staying on a different network - so no sharing minutes. Also, my geographical location is not covered in the 3g network - we are close, but not in the blue shaded area! So I want to know what I would have to do to use the iPhone with a sprint plan. I get that I would have to do the 2 year contract and then cancel. Please don't flame me if this is an impossible dream.

Would I still have to do a jailbreak (if one is available)?
How would I get a Sprint SIM that would work in the iPhone?
Would that affect anything on the iphone, besides the obvious (network connection) ?, like the GPS?

I appreciate any knowledge that can be passed on.

steinauf85

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2005
I hope someone can help me with patience and a smile! I have been drooling all over the iPhone 3g and can not wait to get one. I have a 2 big issues that are holding me back though: Our family is currently on my husband's business plan, using Sprint/Nextel, & business pays for it. Also if I went on AT & T that would cost even more with my husbands phone staying on a different network - so no sharing minutes. Also, my geographical location is not covered in the 3g network - we are close, but not in the blue shaded area! So I want to know what I would have to do to use the iPhone with a sprint plan. I get that I would have to do the 2 year contract and then cancel. Please don't flame me if this is an impossible dream.

Would I still have to do a jailbreak (if one is available)?
How would I get a Sprint SIM that would work in the iPhone?
Would that affect anything on the iphone, besides the obvious (network connection) ?, like the GPS?

I appreciate any knowledge that can be passed on.

it is technologically impossible for you to use the iPhone with Sprint/Nextel/Verizion. those networks use something called CDMA for their wireless communication, while AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM (which is what the iPhone uses). the two are not compatible, and there is no way around it

LWan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
So disappointing, big sigh... Thank you, I appreciate your quick responses!

L

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.