Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waring192

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
Hello,

So I have the following Apple products:
  • 2017 5K iMac
  • Late 2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina
  • iPhone X
I have the following problem:
  • I can charge my iPhone X or any other device using any USB to Lighting cable or usb to usb cable (Apple or third party) from the 5K iMac. Same with external hard drives.
  • I can charge the the iPhone X using any cable (Apple or third party) from my car, mains powered adapter, xbox etc.
  • I can charge any other device from my MacBook Pro apart from my iPhone X as it keeps charging then stopping every few seconds (this is with Apple cables or third party).
  • It will however let me use the Apple Superdrive or any other USB device such as hard drives or charge my GoPro etc.
The only way I can charge my iPhone X on my MacBook Pro is by using a mini usb hub attached to the MacBook then the USB to iPhone X cable (Apple or third party).

Any ideas what is wrong?! All devices are up to date, have tried multiple cables, reset the SMC, PRAM and NVRAM but still won't let me charge directly from the MacBook to the iPhone?!

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.