Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bojack Horseman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I'm trying to restore my iPhone XR from a backup i made on my Mac, but the backup wont go through. I connect my iPhone to my Macbook, and select the "Restore Backup..." button in the finder window, type in my password, and then a spinning wheel will show up, and say, "loading..." followed by "Activating BYK iPhone", and finally a loading bar will show up and say "restoring iPhone from backup", but on the actual iPhone, a chime will sound, and the "Hello" animation will show and I follow the directions as if I didn't just try to restore from a backup! All while back on the Mac Finder window, the loading bar is full and still says. "restoring iPhone from backup". Or is all this suppose to happen?

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just wait it out. Apple dialogues and progress bars rarely are in sync with what’s really happening.
A progress bar could say 5 minutes remaining but it might take more than an hour.

ZeroGFrame

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
I'm trying to restore my iPhone XR from a backup i made on my Mac, but the backup wont go through. I connect my iPhone to my Macbook, and select the "Restore Backup..." button in the finder window, type in my password, and then a spinning wheel will show up, and say, "loading..." followed by "Activating BYK iPhone", and finally a loading bar will show up and say "restoring iPhone from backup", but on the actual iPhone, a chime will sound, and the "Hello" animation will show and I follow the directions as if I didn't just try to restore from a backup! All while back on the Mac Finder window, the loading bar is full and still says. "restoring iPhone from backup". Or is all this suppose to happen?
Any update on this? Did waiting it out work? I've got what sounds like the exact same issue. It just sits on "Restoring (phone) from backup" with a full progress bar and the phone on the "hello" screen.

cjacobs001

macrumors newbie
Was the MAC up to date in operating system ?
Did you have apple run the iphone diagnostics to be sure the iphone is useable?
do you\did you have any security software running while trying to restore?
Did you try using another port on the MAC ?

ZeroGFrame

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
In my case, to answer your questions cjacobs001:
1: Yes
2: No, but the phone is brand new and it works just fine in every way other than restoring from a backup.
3: No
4: Yes

Here's the full story, and I'm really at the end of my rope. I've wasted hours on this, and it always ends in the same result.
I got a new iPhone 13 today. It has all the latest updates. My Mac mini also has the latest OS updates. I have a local backup of my previous iPhone on my local Mac, and want to restore the new iPhone using it. When I try to set up the phone, everything seems OK until the Finder gets to the "Restoring (phone) from backup" screen. At which point, the progress bar simply fills all the way up and stays there, though nothing is happening, and the phone itself just resets to the "Hello" screen. I even left the phone sitting there overnight and nothing changed. I've tried this from the phone, and from the Mac, and tried it with the phone in Recovery mode, and tried every solution I can find online (though the vast majority of them pertain to restoring from iCloud backups, which I am not using), and nothing is making a difference.

As a note, I no longer have the previous phone itself, as I traded it in at the store and erased it. I've never had this problem restoring from a local backup before, and had no way to anticipate this level of frustration.

Reactions: SylerTheBoy

SylerTheBoy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2022
I am having the same issue with my XR backup to my new iPhone 13.

I should have not have depended so much on a local backup. Very frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.