Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kanu92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
On Earth
Hey Guys

Just wanted some advice/thoughts on whether I should upgrade to XS Max 64gb from my X 256gb. I've had my X since it was released and have loved using it. However I've been given the chance to upgrade to an XS Max 64gb which I am looking at purchasing from a close friend who doesn't want it (unwanted upgrade). My only issue is that if I go ahead would I be likely to miss out on anything major with the next iPhone that is due in a couple of months.

Looking at the leaks, which are normally pretty accurate, it doesn't seem to be anything major. And that the bulk of change will be in 2020 iPhone's with 5G etc. My friend is willing to let me have the XS max for £700, unlocked from carrier, whilst I can sell my X for around £500/550. Meaning the XS Max would be effectively £150-£200 (depending on sale of my X).

My thinking is that if there isn't going to be anything significantly different from XS Max to 2019 iPhone's, then this would be a cheap upgrade that I can use for at least next 12 months, before 2020 phones are out. New phone with a new and longer battery span. That being said my X is still working perfectly and has decent battery life at 87%, still lets me get 9hrs of use in a single charge. Memory wise wouldn't be a major issue for me as I tend to use iCloud for my stuff. So that being said what would you guys do in this situation? Would you upgrade or stay? or wait for the new phones? Let me know your thoughts:)

P.S. Apologies for rambling on a bit

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If I were you, I would ignore this deal entirely just because I did not get 256GB storage, but that is just me.

Performance wise, X is still strong. What XS A12 processor provide is something called “sustained performance”, meaning that unlike X, the processor can keep up with the work load without ramping up device temperature longer than before. Xs has a better camera as well, however better it is. If you get XS Max you also get bigger screen, which is also a nice plus.

But, without considering storage, I would still hold my X and skip Xs Max as 5G phone makes a bit more sense and Apple could have something really big by then.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Financially it's a good deal. Depends if the 64GB is enough or not & also depends if you want a bigger phone.

If I was looking to upgrade now I'd just hang on a few months for the 2019 models.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If 64 GB works it will tell you that you overpaid the previous time. Other than that the difference between X and Xs are well documented and I bet most people wouldn’t upgrade just to the next generation as changes these days are rather minimal.
If you use the iPhone as a camera though this year’s update should be interesting.

I personally wouldn’t buy a device with this small storage anymore but my needs are likely different than yours.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I moved from 64GB X to 256GB Xs Max recently because like you, I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse.

The jump from X to Xs Max, screen and battery wise, is significant. It is also a much bigger phone so you will go through some adjustment initially.

For me, 256GB is complete overkill, as I stream music and use iCloud for photo storage. I was using only half of 64GB, now for some reason even less on the Xs Max.

So far, there is nothing that makes me think I'll really want to upgrade to 2019 models, but if this changes I will sell the Xs Max and buy the 2019 - the used market for the iPhones is always strong.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
£700 at this stage is not that amazing.

However if you are the person that would be happy to hold on the Xs max for say 2 years. And assured you can get 500 for your x.. and can comfortably use 64GB- then go for it.

Otherwise reevaluate after September ..

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
£700 at this stage is not that amazing.

However if you are the person that would be happy to hold on the Xs max for say 2 years. And assured you can get 500 for your x.. and can comfortably use 64GB- then go for it.

Otherwise reevaluate after September ..

Isn't that £400 off the price? If so, pretty good for a brand new Xs Max.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hey Guys

Just wanted some advice/thoughts on whether I should upgrade to XS Max 64gb from my X 256gb. I've had my X since it was released and have loved using it. However I've been given the chance to upgrade to an XS Max 64gb which I am looking at purchasing from a close friend who doesn't want it (unwanted upgrade). My only issue is that if I go ahead would I be likely to miss out on anything major with the next iPhone that is due in a couple of months.

Looking at the leaks, which are normally pretty accurate, it doesn't seem to be anything major. And that the bulk of change will be in 2020 iPhone's with 5G etc. My friend is willing to let me have the XS max for £700, unlocked from carrier, whilst I can sell my X for around £500/550. Meaning the XS Max would be effectively £150-£200 (depending on sale of my X).

My thinking is that if there isn't going to be anything significantly different from XS Max to 2019 iPhone's, then this would be a cheap upgrade that I can use for at least next 12 months, before 2020 phones are out. New phone with a new and longer battery span. That being said my X is still working perfectly and has decent battery life at 87%, still lets me get 9hrs of use in a single charge. Memory wise wouldn't be a major issue for me as I tend to use iCloud for my stuff. So that being said what would you guys do in this situation? Would you upgrade or stay? or wait for the new phones? Let me know your thoughts:)

P.S. Apologies for rambling on a bit

If you are happy with the drop in storage amount then yes, HO for it.

Reactions: Wide opeN

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If you want the bigger size/battery go for it. 11 Max - Only expected noticeable upgrades might be camera and battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.