Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marottipedro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Can´t decide between this 2. I know the X is a better phone, but is 64gb enough for it? Or the 256gb 8Plus will be a smarter purchase?
Thanks

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Manage your storage, and 64gb should be enough. Get the X, it’s worth every penny even if you get the 256gb version.

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
It all depends on what u like to keep on your phone. I have lots of photos and use iCloud photo. I don’t like optimizing my phone for photos so I prefer IPhone X 256GB. I love it. My 7 Plus was 128GB And wasn’t enough.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Can´t decide between this 2. I know the X is a better phone, but is 64gb enough for it? Or the 256gb 8Plus will be a smarter purchase?
Thanks
Neither. iPhone X 256 GB is the best option since you do not have to be worried running out memory if you like to store a lot of pictures, musics, etc in your phone. I have 256 GB since I like to store pictures, music and videos in my phone so I can view them offline. Hopefully soon Apple will release 512 gb.

Suspenders

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
iPhone X 64GB.

If you have an iCloud subscription, you can store all of your photos there, and of everything I keep on my phone, photos is what takes up the most space.

I had an 8 Plus 256gb and it's an amazing phone... but I have to say that the iPhone X has been my favourite phone so far.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
If money is a constraint and other options are not even a possibility, this really comes down to if you need the storage or not. If you absolutely need more than 64gb, it's not even a decision. If it's just uncomfortable with 64gb, you need to make the call on what you can tolerate. If 64gb is plenty, the X is pretty dang nice, but either phone will do what a smartphone is supposed to. Apple forced my hand since my storage is always around 70-100gb. No 128gb option :(

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
You'll probably pine for the X either way so just get it and see how you go. If it doesn't work out return it and get the 8 plus.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
iphone x 64gb assuming that the space is the only issue. I came from a 128 iphone 6 and thought i NEEDED all that space (84 gb in music). I ended up buying an iphone 8 plus 64gb during the tmobile black friday BOGO offer and don't regret it one bit - I have everything set up on the cloud so I can stream my entire music library on my phone (instead of only being able to play the albums i load). You also give yourself the option to download those albums directly onto your phone if and when you choose.

I would have purchased the iphone X if it was eligible for the offer but it was only open to the iphone 8 models (i needed a new phone for myself and my wife).

For what it's worth, the 8 plus is an amazing phone.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I’ve had both and will say you will not lose either way you go. I really enjoyed the 8 Plus, but I personally prefer the X.

The size was the first and foremost reason for my decision. The multitasking sealed the deal for me. So much easier swiping the bottom of the screen to get to the last app vs double clicking over and over when working between 2 apps.

It comes down to 2 things. Size, and space. Which is more important to you?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
As others have said it depends on how much you plan to use local storage vs cloud services. Music and video are big storage hogs, but they can be streamed as long as you store music in the cloud and your data plan isn't too limited or you have access to WiFi most of the time.

I would also ask yourself how much you plan to use the camera for shooting stills and video? The higher resolution cameras of the iPhone 8 and X will generate larger files, and if you shoot 4K video the files will be ginormous. You can use iCloud Photo Library with the setting to optimize iPhone storage. You will need to purchase more iCloud storage, but that is at least cheap.

If you think you will use the camera a lot, especially while on vacation in places where you don't want to pay for data roaming (or maybe you are out of cell phone range), you could burn through 64 GB quickly if you are taking a lot of photos and videos. It's not like a dedicated camera that just lets you swap out the memory card when it's full.

I would also consider that app sizes will keep getting bigger as developers decide they can do more with the latest hardware. Perhaps 64 GB will feel like plenty of storage for 6 months to a year, and then suddenly you will be having to do a lot of regular digital-decluttering to free up storage. There is the setting to offload apps you don't use frequently, but how much will that save if your favorite apps are storage hogs like games? If you aren't into games and don't download many apps, this probably won't be an issue for you at all.

256 is the way to go for maximum flexibility and convenience, while 64 GB saves you $150. Keep in mind that the 256 GB model will also have a higher resale value later on, so in the end it probably costs well under $100 to quadruple your storage.

I wrote this in the context of the X, but all of it applies to the 8 series except for perhaps the cost difference between 64 vs 256 (although I'd expect that to be the same). There are other threads where the iPhone 8 vs 8 Plus vs X has been discussed in great detail. Everyone has their reasons for preferring one over the other. I'm going with the X because I want dual cameras without having to get a Plus-sized iPhone.

Sean

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Thanks

The processor is identical on both... as is the RAM and storage.

There's differences in the screen type and size... camera... biometric authentication... and animojified texting.

The top priority on my list was the Plus sized screen. 2nd priority was maintaining Touch ID. The X has neither of these... so I bought the 8 Plus. I could care less about the gimmick known as animojis and a slightly better camera because all I use my phone camera for are Facebook photos. OLED screen didn't matter to me either. Apple screens have always looked good. All that being said, I didn't see a point in the X.

Decide what's important to you and make your decision based on that. Just remember... the most important pieces of hardware are exactly the same on both. :)

Last edited:

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
The top priority on my list was the Plus sized screen. 2nd priority was maintaining Touch ID. The X has neither of these... so I bought the 8 Plus. I could care less about the gimmick known as animojis and a slightly better camera...

This ^^^ is pretty much the same for me. I decided on 8+ 256GB.

kimiraiks

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
Manila, Philippines
It will also depend on how you want to grip the phone. If you want to operate with one hand, get the X. If you are used to with large phones, get the 8+. Either, both almost has the same specs.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
By the time you'll wanna sell your iPhone X, the 64GB will be considered very small. 256GB will give be more practical for you and will sell better in the future.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
By the time you'll wanna sell your iPhone X, the 64GB will be considered very small. 256GB will give be more practical for you and will sell better in the future.

This is likely how it's going to be for the future with larger storage iPhone options, media, photos, 4K video, all takes up storage. 64 GB will be eventually phased out I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.