Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I’ve noticed when I’m at 1%, my X slows down to a crawl. Pretty sure this happens with my 8 too. Has anyone else experienced this?

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Same with my X on 11.1.2, as soon as it hits 1% the phone becomes extremely slow, unresponsive and laggy. Animations feel like they run at 5fps.

Never had this issue on my 7+, seems like this only affects 8/X devices.

Last edited:

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Same with my X on 11.1.1, as soon as it hits 1% the phone becomes extremely slow, unresponsive and laggy. Animations feel like they run at 5fps.

Never had this issue on my 7+, seems like this only affects 8/X devices.
Makes sense as it behaves like a CPU issue and both phones share the same processor.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
At 1% battery life? Making up numbers here, would you rather have 1 more minute of smooth usage or 5 more minutes of laggy use?

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
That would be the battery saving feature kicking in.

Also, stop completely depleting your battery. That's generally not good practice.

Highly doubtful it’s a battery saver, never seen this on an iOS device. It’s most likely a bug that will be addressed.

Also I’m pretty sure there’s built in safeguards in 2017 to prevent damaging the battery pack. This was an issue with earlier batteries, don’t beleive it’s ever been true with an iPhone battery.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Plenty of safeguards to stop you killing the battery, I only ran it down to completely dead and charged it to 100% the first time to make sure the the OS was reading the battery percentage ok.

But this issue is not repeatable on a 7+, 6S+, 6+ and 5S.

I'm 99% sure this is just a software bug, plenty of those in iOS 11.

Even if the phone was in low power mode it would never run as crap as it does with this bug.

Reactions: _Refurbished_

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Highly doubtful it’s a battery saver, never seen this on an iOS device. It’s most likely a bug that will be addressed.

Also I’m pretty sure there’s built in safeguards in 2017 to prevent damaging the battery pack. This was an issue with earlier batteries, don’t beleive it’s ever been true with an iPhone battery.
iPhones don’t use magic batteries.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Well I purchased the wireless charger so it no longer needs to be plugged in. I simply point the phone in the direction of that wireless charger and it should charge by itself. However, it never seems to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Well I purchased the wireless charger so it no longer needs to be plugged in. I simply point the phone in the direction of that wireless charger and it should charge by itself. However, it never seems to work.
That sucks. I have a wireless charging car dock and it works great. Also, Apple is increasing the wireless charging from 5V to 7.5V in iOS 11.2, so that might help.

ForbiddenApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Noticed it yesterday when my X went down to 1% & went super laggy. Not sure it's a 'feature' as it never happened on my previous iPhones.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
That sucks. I have a wireless charging car dock and it works great. Also, Apple is increasing the wireless charging from 5V to 7.5V in iOS 11.2, so that might help.

My blonde wife suggest I plug the wireless charger into the wall socket to get it to work. I mean how stupid can she get? Hello, it’s a wireless charger - hello!

Reactions: UL2RA

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
My blonde wife suggest I plug the wireless charger into the wall socket to get it to work. I mean how stupid can she get? Hello, it’s a wireless charger - hello!
Would be nice if it was literally wireless. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.