Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
around
I have an iPhone X with the latest update and for awhile I've been having issues with it adjusting the brightness on its own.

Yes I have everything turned off. Auto brightness is turned off, true tone turned off and under General, Display Accommodations I have Auto Brightness turned off.

I chatted with an apple rep who told me to try going to General, and Reset all Settings. I told him I'd try it but he wouldn't know if it worked or not because it would end the chat session. He claimed it wouldn't. Of course it did, but it stopped auto adjusting the brightness, up until now. It's doing it again. I noticed it's doing it when I'm using the phone a lot and it gets hot.

Still it shouldn't be happening. Does anyone else have this issue?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have an iPhone X with the latest update and for awhile I've been having issues with it adjusting the brightness on its own.

Yes I have everything turned off. Auto brightness is turned off, true tone turned off and under General, Display Accommodations I have Auto Brightness turned off.

I chatted with an apple rep who told me to try going to General, and Reset all Settings. I told him I'd try it but he wouldn't know if it worked or not because it would end the chat session. He claimed it wouldn't. Of course it did, but it stopped auto adjusting the brightness, up until now. It's doing it again. I noticed it's doing it when I'm using the phone a lot and it gets hot.

Still it shouldn't be happening. Does anyone else have this issue?
If the device gets hot one of the things it can do to help cool things down is turn down the brightness. If that's the kind of thing you are seeing then it's due to that basically.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
like C DM said its most probably heat. Mine does the same, when its gets over hot the screen dims, also dims a lot when below 5% battery.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
around
Well is doing it again today and it's not hot. Just minimal use and it keeps going from dim to bright on it's own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.