Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Why is this even a thing? Android batteries wear, user know this. Batteries can be replaced.

It isn't like Apple are the only one who uses the damn things.

And why hide it?

What is it apple do with battery design and power management which is so different from android that they need this fudge?

It isnt possible that iphone battery design is comprimised for the sake of space inside the iphone and that without this fudge, iphones would be dying on their ass after a relatively short time is it?

Apple would surely be unhappy with the consequences of this (increased sales)

Apple, who came up with the biggest marketing insult to intelligence (it is all screen) wouldn't be treating their customers like idiots would they?

Surely not....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm just speaking as an owner of 4 Androids over the last 4 years.. and other devices that have LiOn batteries. The calibration mechanisms are prone to being inaccurate. With Android it's not as bad as Apple - the tendency to for the calibration to drift. But this is endemic to all LiOn battery devices. Their meters ALL need calibration. Batteries no longer need conditioning.. Don't confuse what I'm saying. But there is no 'battery-gate' with Apple..
[doublepost=1513923931][/doublepost]That there is called a 'straw man argument' to which the reply is always the same: "WHO HAS SAID OTHERWISE?!".. In degrading batteries... OF COURSE there are insurmountable problems. But again.. same in Android the poster I first responded to simply described a 100%-90% super slow drain.. the fast from 70-0.. He/She did NOT say OLD battery... My explanation is for the perfectly normal battery out of the box to about 18 months old. You must - every month or so drain to under 5% then full charge to 100% and about 1-2 hours past full. This recalibrates the battery meter to show accurate run down. Works 100% of the time. I'm always able to prove it to every customer I help in my free lance electronics business. Works 100% of the time.

Apple even outlined this need for 8 years.. and only took it off their website late in 2016 because it was confusing people who didn't know the differnence between battery conditioning and battery meter calibration. It's STILL Apple's and all Apple Genius' advice to do this calibration at least once a month.

Old batteries are an ENTIRELY different matter. We agree.
talk about strawman! Did you READ what APPLE said about caring for batteries in iPhones???

You must - every month or so drain to under 5% then full charge to 100% and about 1-2 hours past full.
This recalibrates the battery meter to show accurate run down.
Show me a Apple support document that says to do this!

No where did they say to CALIBRATE batteries in the life and care of batteries in iphones.

READ IT.....
https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Why is this even a thing? Android batteries wear, user know this. Batteries can be replaced.

It isn't like Apple are the only one who uses the damn things.

And why hide it?

What is it apple do with battery design and power management which is so different from android that they need this fudge?

It isnt possible that iphone battery design is comprimised for the sake of space inside the iphone and that without this fudge, iphones would be dying on their ass after a relatively short time is it?

Apple would surely be unhappy with the consequences of this (increased sales)

Apple, who came up with the biggest marketing insult to intelligence (it is all screen) wouldn't be treating their customers like idiots would they?

Surely not....

And what does ANY of this have to do with the original topic of this thread???

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
talk about strawman! Did you READ what APPLE said about caring for batteries in iPhones???

Show me a Apple support document that says to do this!

No where did they say to CALIBRATE batteries in the life and care of batteries in iphones.

READ IT.....
https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

They did for years. Let me find the Apple Support document’s original wording in my tabs. It’s frustrating they rewrote the document late 2015. LiOn battery meters have not changed in 10 years. Apple only took out the meter calibration paragraph because it was confusing people. There are loads of older threads on this topic both here and at Reddit with the original Apple Support page prooftext in them.. Any long time user of iPhone that doesn’t know this procedure is waaaay out of the loop. I’m astounded we’re even having this debate. It’s just a simple fact of normal LiOn battery use on any smartphone device.

But hey, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.. ...

Feel free to ignore this procedure and continue to complain about your battery and bash Apple. It’s a pastime at this forum it seems.. lol. As for me, I don’t experience this odd unnatural discharge cycle y’all are referring to. Never have - in 11 Apple phones.. So enjoy your continued problem and complaining - no skin off my nose. .. or hey... maybe you could drop the arrogance and do a full recharge cycle, as Apple suggested for years (I will post shortly) and get normal smooth battery level readings.. lol.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
They did for years. Let me find the Apple Support document’s original wording in my tabs. It’s frustrating they rewrote the document late 2015. LiOn battery meters have not changed in 10 years. Apple only took out the meter calibration paragraph because it was confusing people. There are loads of older threads on this topic both here and at Reddit with the original Apple Support page prooftext in them.. Any long time user of iPhone that doesn’t know this procedure is waaaay out of the loop. I’m astounded we’re even having this debate. It’s just a simple fact of normal LiOn battery use on any smartphone device.

But hey, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.. ...

Feel free to ignore this procedure and continue to complain about your battery and bash Apple. It’s a pastime at this forum it seems.. lol. As for me, I don’t experience this odd unnatural discharge cycle y’all are referring to. Never have - in 11 Apple phones.. So enjoy your continued problem and complaining - no skin off my nose. .. or hey... maybe you could drop the arrogance and do a full recharge cycle, as Apple suggested for years (I will post shortly) and get normal smooth battery level readings.. lol.

The below is so true......maybe once in the 90s you had to jump through hoops to get an iphone battery to show the correct battery percentage......But the CURRENT documentation does not mention it because it is no longer needed.
But hey, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

Feel free to continue to "calibrate" your iphone battery needlessly because you once did it many moons ago....

I have had every iphone made since the beginning....sometimes both models the regular and the plus models.
Never once have a i calibrated a battery like you described.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
The below is so true......maybe once in the 90s you had to jump through hoops to get an iphone battery to show the correct battery percentage......But the CURRENT documentation does not mention it because it is no longer needed.

Feel free to continue to "calibrate" your iphone battery needlessly because you once did it many moons ago....

I have had every iphone made since the beginning....sometimes both models the regular and the plus models.
Never once have a i calibrated a battery like you described.

The recommendation from Apple remained until 2016. And it was not removed because it was no longer needed. It was removed because it was confusing people into thinking that the procedure was a “conditioning” which hasn’t been needed since the 00’s when we moved away from NickelCadmium rechargeable. Those needed a battery “conditioning” that Lithium Ion batteries have never needed. This is a meter calibration only. And it’s still needed today - nothing has changed. Just spend even a little Google time studying the topic rather than the demagogic posturing here. People’s perceptions and cherished ‘anti-Apple beliefs’ are always preferred over reality. If there’s one thing I’ve learned here in 10 years - it’s that.. lol..

And as I said I’ve owned 11 iPhone and 4 Androids since 2007 and have done careful testing. The moment I see the weird discharge cycle on a client’s phone / and they do the calibration cycle - the problem goes away - 100% of the time (on a good battery - not beyond 2 years). You can choose to continue to live in ignorance, Jamezr.. and complain about some mythical “battery-gate” with iPhones or you can do the calibrate cycle and notice it disappear - which it will 100% of the time. But you won’t.. :).. you have too much invested in your ‘belief system’. I’m out. Another good deed crapped upon. I don’t know why I bother at this place sometimes....

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The recommendation from Apple remained until 2016. And it was not removed because it was no longer needed. It was removed because it was confusing people into thinking that the procedure was a “conditioning” which hasn’t been needed since the 00’s when we moved away from NickelCadmium rechargeable. Those needed a battery “conditioning” that Lithium Ion batteries have never needed. This is a meter calibration only. And it’s still needed today - nothing has changed. Just spend even a little Google time studying the topic rather than the demagogic posturing here. People’s perceptions and cherished ‘anti-Apple beliefs’ are always preferred over reality. If there’s one thing I’ve learned here in 10 years - it’s that.. lol..

And as I said I’ve owned 11 iPhone and 4 Androids since 2007 and have done careful testing. The moment I see the weird discharge cycle on a client’s phone / and they do the calibration cycle - the problem goes away - 100% of the time (on a good battery - not beyond 2 years). You can choose to continue to live in ignorance, Jamezr.. and complain about some mythical “battery-gate” with iPhones or you can do the calibrate cycle and notice it disappear - which it will 100% of the time. But you won’t.. :).. you have too much invested in your ‘belief system’.
No name calling or insults please....that will get reported to the Mods.
If i choose to live in reality and disagree with your belief system that does not make me ignorant.

I choose to live in the present with current documentation to back me up. Do you have documentation to back up what YOU are saying? Or is it what you once had to do years ago and still do it because....well you have always done it this way lol....whether it is relevant or not....

One cycle is just one bout of discharging, but how much energy you discharge in one go—a measure referred to as depth of discharge (DoD)—matters bigtime. Lithium-ions really hate a deep depth of discharge. According to Battery University, a staggeringly exhaustive resource on the topic, a li-ion that goes through 100 percent DoD (the user runs it down all the way to zero before recharging) can degrade to 70 percent of its original capacity in 300-500 cycles.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a15731/best-way-to-keep-li-ion-batteries-charged/

Reactions: iSilas

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
No name calling or insults please....that will get reported to the Mods.
If i choose to live in reality and disagree with your belief system that does not make me ignorant.

I choose to live in the present with current documentation to back me up. Do you have documentation to back up what YOU are saying? Or is it what you once had to do years ago and still do it because....well you have always done it this way lol....whether it is relevant or not....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a15731/best-way-to-keep-li-ion-batteries-charged/

You are still creating straw man arguments, Jamezr.. that article you posted has nothing at all to do with my point. And OF COURSE too many full discharge (under 5%) are not advisable. Also common knowledge. Even Apple’s article mentions that. We are talking “past” each other. And it’s become a waste of my time. I have never called you a name. That’s a lie. I said you can prefer to live in ignorance - which is very different. And I’m guessing you’re of a younger generation who believes that if you can’t find an article on the Internet about it - it must not be true! ...My - what’s this world coming to.

But since you insist. Here’s one “proof text” of my claims. One of many....

http://www.appledystopia.com/how-to/calibrate-iphone-battery/

That site ^ uses the actual wording from Apple’s support page until early 2016.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You are still creating straw man arguments, Jamezr.. that article you posted has nothing at all to do with my point. And OF COURSE too many full discharge (under 5%) are not advisable. Also common knowledge. Even Apple’s article mentions that. We are talking “past” each other. And it’s become a waste of my time. I have never called you a name. That’s a lie. I said you can prefer to live in ignorance - which is very different. And I’m guessing you’re of a younger generation who believes that if you can’t find an article on the Internet about it - it must not be true! ...My - what’s this world coming to.

But since you insist. Here’s one “proof text” of my claims. One of many....

That site ^ uses the actual wording from Apple’s support page until early 2016.
You make a lot of assumption....I am probably older than you....look at my avatar...that is me.

The proof you offer is a document from 2013 and IOS 7 and the iPhone 4 or 5. A lot has changed since then....try to stay current.....like I said....you probably had to do this back in the day.....but with current battery technology it is no longer relevant.
Your article says to run the battery all the way down to zero and then recharge to past 100% and all current lithium battery articles say that will deplete the battery and reduce the lifespan of the battery.

So you can keep discharging you battery once a month like you said you do....it will destroy your batteries lifespan in the process. But hey it is your device and you can choose to live in ignorance if you choose to. But i will let current technology work for me and enjoy the benefits of a more modern lifestyle.

Battery technology is constantly evolving and changing. They are getting so much better than they used to be. Some want to live in the past and hold onto what once worked for them long ago. I choose to live in the present and embrace new technology and the enhancements they bring and change my technology habits as needed....

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
You make a lot of assumption....I am probably older than you....look at my avatar...that is me.

The proof you offer is a document from 2013 and IOS 7 and the iPhone 4 or 5. A lot has changed since then....try to stay current.....like I said....you probably had to do this back in the day.....but with current battery technology it is no longer relevant.
Your article says to run the battery all the way down to zero and then recharge to past 100% and all current lithium battery articles say that will deplete the battery and reduce the lifespan of the battery.

So you can keep discharging you battery once a month like you said you do....it will destroy your batteries lifespan in the process. But hey it is your device and you can choose to live in ignorance if you choose to. But i will let current technology work for me and enjoy the benefits of a more modern lifestyle.

Battery technology is constantly evolving and changing. They are getting so much better than they used to be. Some want to live in the past and hold onto what once worked for them long ago. I choose to live in the present and embrace new technology and the enhancements they bring and change my technology habits as needed....

All your assumptions above are incorrect. Current phones batteries still need this and Apples article only changed beginning of 2016. Battery technology has NOT changed in terms of the meter calibration. I’ve had many Apple Geniuses confirm the continued need and why Apple changed the Support article. And stop misquoting me and putting words in my mouth. It’s disingenuous and also against the rules and reportable to the Mods. I never said discharge to zero was something you should do often. And I never even do it to less than 5%. It can hurt the battery if done often. Modern LiOn batteries have about 400 full charges (from under 5%) available before replacement is needed. We agree there.

As I said before - it works and is still needed and works 100% of the time to dispel the issue talked about here... I just did one for a client yesterday with his iPhone 7. He called back to say thank you, problem solved!! There’s no better proof - than real life proof. So, again, Jamezr.. feel free to continue to live out of your ‘belief system’ and ignore the data readily available from Internet sources backing my claims.. I’ll continue to help my clients fix this issue - which - works 100% of the time for batteries 0-18 months. Older batteries - all bets are off.

I’ll bow out now. We’re at agree to disagree point now. You’ll take last word as you clearly like to do.. lol.. And I’ll continue to help my clients solve their battery meter calibration issue / and getting accolades for the real results they see even on the newest iPhones. You’ll continue to bash Apple for some mythical “battery-gate” nonsense.

Also, the “absence“ of data doesn’t prove the negative. Why don’t you take some time and try to prove your claim that at some time in the last several years battery meter calibration on iPhone became obsolete. Go ahead and try to prove that… Well I probably won’t be around to read it.

Peace and Happy Holidays, my stubborn colleague.

*UNSUBSCRIBE*

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
All your assumptions above are incorrect. Current phones batteries still need this and Apples article only changed beginning of 2016. Battery technology has NOT changed in terms of the meter calibration. I’ve had many Apple Geniuses confirm the continued need and why Apple changed the Support article. And stop misquoting me and putting words in my mouth. It’s disingenuous and also against the rules and reportable to the Mods. I never said discharge to zero was something you should do often. And I never even do it to less than 5%. It can hurt the battery if done often. Modern LiOn batteries have about 400 full charges (from under 5%) available before replacement is needed. We agree there.

As I said before - it works and is still needed and works 100% of the time to dispel the issue talked about here... I just did one for a client yesterday with his iPhone 7. He called back to say thank you, problem solved!! There’s no better proof - than real life proof. So, again, Jamezr.. feel free to continue to live out of your ‘belief system’ and ignore the data readily available from Internet sources backing my claims.. I’ll continue to help my clients fix this issue - which - works 100% of the time for batteries 0-18 months. Older batteries - all bets are off.

I’ll bow out now. We’re at agree to disagree point now. You’ll take last word as you clearly like to do.. lol.. And I’ll continue to help my clients solve their battery meter calibration issue / and getting accolades for the real results they see even on the newest iPhones. You’ll continue to bash Apple for some mythical “battery-gate” nonsense.

Also, the “absence“ of data doesn’t prove the negative. Why don’t you take some time and try to prove your claim that at some time in the last several years battery meter calibration on iPhone became obsolete. Go ahead and try to prove that… Well I probably won’t be around to read it.

Peace and Happy Holidays, my stubborn colleague.

*UNSUBSCRIBE*
No one is putting words in your mouth. The article you linked in your post says to run the battery down to zero

1. Use your iPhone until it shuts off automatically. If it is near 0% battery life and you want to drain it faster, turn on the flashlight, turn up screen brightness all the way and play a video, preferably streaming from the Internet.

Maybe you should read what you linked in your post? You didn't read it did you?

So go on and advise all of your friends or client to calibrate their iphone batteries as you described and continue to destroy the batteries lifespan on those devices.

I have shown you enough current documentation to prove everything i have said.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Recalibrate your battery. Common knowledge.

As per my other comments on Apples iphone battery issues.

They are not the only company manufacturing and using batteries in mobile devices.

In my experience, non linear power consuption reporting (careful use of words there) is definitely an iphone phenomenon (i have seen this on my own iphones) but it definitely NOT a industry problem. Androids don't do this.

So either:

A) its on purpose
B) Apple are stupid and dont know how to use lithium batteries.

I doubt it is option B........

As previously stated. There is a control here regarding iphone design and behavior. Android.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
You know what's going to be funny, nobody really gives a whack about this except for some few people on MR.

Yep, they give so little of a whack they went to court. Truly not giving a whack. Damn those few MacRumours people. LOL! That's how you show that you really don't give a "whack", by filing a lawsuit. Yep.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ne-slowdowns-spur-customers-to-hurry-to-court
48187870baaa239db97132028442cdce.jpg

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

*UNSUBSCRIBE*

Ah, good old anecdotal proof...
My LG KU990 had some funky issues. Maybe calibrating that may have fixed it?
I've had umm...15 android phones since 2010, I've never had to do anything special battery wise.
I pass my old phones on to my Partner and then they get passed on to other family members, can't really tell you of any phone that needed calibrating at all....
There's my anecdotal evidence..
That coupled with the fact that I don't know one person who calibrates their phone battery/counter.

Jamezr probably buys 15 phones a year, lol, I'm sure he gets a good feel for battery anomalies.

The science of calibrating a battery might be sound but I doubt 99% of people will need to bother.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Ah, good old anecdotal proof...
My LG KU990 had some funky issues. Maybe calibrating that may have fixed it?
I've had umm...15 android phones since 2010, I've never had to do anything special battery wise.
I pass my old phones on to my Partner and then they get passed on to other family members, can't really tell you of any phone that needed calibrating at all....
There's my anecdotal evidence..
That coupled with the fact that I don't know one person who calibrates their phone battery/counter.

Jamezr probably buys 15 phones a year, lol, I'm sure he gets a good feel for battery anomalies.

The science of calibrating a battery might be sound but I doubt 99% of people will need to bother.
Indeed!

In actual fact, Battery Calibration is not needed with Li-ion and LiPo batteries, phones these days are intelligent enough to manage their batteries. I remember Sony even spoke about their own tech where the phone would manage how it charges overtime to better manage degradation, Samsung also has implemented similar tech, hence they were brave enough to say the S8 and Note8 batteries will keep 95% charge capacity after 2years.

Battery Calibration is something that was needed with the older Nickel–Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel–Cadmium (NiCd) batteries, from the days of the Nokia 3310, as those batteries tended to have the dreaded "Memory Effect" if you did not properly charge and discharge them - people still think they have to do all sorts of battery charge and discharge tricks to manage Calibration of the battery in their 2017 smartphone, as they did with phones that used that old battery tech.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Now that the excuse of "calibration" has been kicked into touch, what are the Apple apologists going to use next as a deflection from apple conning its customers?

Last edited:
Reactions: iSilas and jamezr

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
agreed.....tell your customers to pay $80 for new battery and have your phone perform like new....or slow their device down and have them pay $800 for new phone? We know which path Apple has taken.
I also don't buy the crap about the battery making the phone unstable when it weakens, unless they have under spec 'd the batteries. Of course supply chain Tim may have done that to improve margins and it bit them in the butt. But on this site there are so many blinded Apple fans that it's hard to have a rational discussion about it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I also don't buy the crap about the battery making the phone unstable when it weakens, unless they have under spec 'd the batteries. Of course supply chain Tim may have done that to improve margins and it bit them in the butt. But on this site there are so many blinded Apple fans that it's hard to have a rational discussion about it.
I think part of the problem was Apple used inferior batteries and technology in iphones. The result was they had to do some extreme power management and cripple phones in the process.

Apple has always used smaller batteries in their phones. The reasoning was IOS was optimized so it did not need the same size batteries as Android phones. Well now we know what was at play. Apple saved money and kept the smaller batteries and then throttled them to spur new device sales.
Anyone who thinks this wasn't part of the equation is fooling themselves.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Hardware and software by the same manufacturer has its advantages but comes with these disadvantages. The manufacturer can do whatever it wants to with your device.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
How about a poll? Who calibrates vs who suffers the ills of not calibrating?

That should give some kind of indication of how much calibration is really needed.

I've never calibrated, never heard of it until a few days ago.
Yes, I've heard of the odd crap battery, but that's resolved with replacement.
For the rest of the time, life goes on and batteries go on without any form of calibration because let's face it, who has time to do that when we've arguing on forums to take care of....

I'd be more likely to wear an anti-static wristband when building/fixing a PC, than calibrate a device.
And I've never used an anti-static wristband..... :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.