Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
Finally some numbers to go with all the speculation, as of December 18:

iPhone X: 35.9 million sold
iPhone 8 Plus: 29.1 million sold
iPhone 8: 23.6 million sold

Source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckj...ling-over-1-million-iphone-8s-and-xs-per-day/

Apple Still Selling Over 1 Million iPhone 8's And X's Per Day

“Localytics provided me with an update on the market shares of iPhones in use as of Monday, December 18. By Localytics monitoring 70 million iOS devices globally and using an estimate of total iPhones in use...”

Reactions: MICHAELSD

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s still an awful lot of phones sold but poor by Apple standards. However the market is evolving with a shrinking smartphone market for all manufacturers. Apple aren’t the only ones feeling the pinch.

From the same source (Forbes):

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....le-iphonex-sales-q4-supercycle-fail-good/amp/

It’s good news for consumers though and Apple should be relatively happy.

If Apple hadn’t released the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus I think this year would have been a disaster for them. Many questioned why they bothered with the 8 and these articles demonstrate why.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If Apple hadn’t released the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus I think this year would have been a disaster for them. Many questioned why they bothered with the 8 and these articles demonstrate why.

Apple needed the iPhone 8 as a secondary option to the iPhone X, because they knew long before the launch of the iPhone X, it would be popular, but doesn't necessarily equate to a phone for everybody because of the price point and consumers are not upgrading annually.

I'm somebody that likes to have the latest tech, but for those around me, they are either content with their current iPhone or not persuaded enough to want to upgrade because of the rising cost of smart phones in general.

That said, I think the iPhone 8/iPhone X will be highly successful phones and I think it was a great idea to offer the iPhone 8 in relevance for those two were not interested in Face ID as of yet, and provides a form factor many are familiar with after the last four years.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Apple needed the iPhone 8 as a secondary option to the iPhone X, because they knew long before the launch of the iPhone X, it would be popular, but doesn't necessarily equate to a phone for everybody because of the price point and consumers are not upgrading annually.

I'm somebody that likes to have the latest tech, but for those around me, they are either content with their current iPhone or not persuaded enough to want to upgrade because of the rising cost of smart phones in general.

That said, I think the iPhone 8/iPhone X will be highly successful phones and I think it was a great idea to offer the iPhone 8 in relevance for those two were not interested in Face ID as of yet, and provides a form factor many are familiar with after the last four years.

It does sort of confirm that Apple will have to offer more than one premium release next year too if they want to remain competitive. People often suggest they’ll drop the 8 variant next year but we all know they couldn’t do that.

I’m not convinced they will just release this rumoured 6.1” phone as their budget offering next year either as they know from the X that their market is diverse. I think we’ll see perhaps 4 phones next year with the introduction of an X Plus variant and standard sized budget device. I say budget but it’ll still have a premium just like the 8 but you know what I mean.

Reactions: brgjoe and 44267547
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.