Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
On an iPhone prior to the X, am I the only one who enjoyed that Apple Pay would automatically become an option when holding it near a POS terminal instead of double tapping on the home button?

So, two questions: will that still work on the X? And if not, why does Apple think that double tapping the side button is a more seamless experience then merely holding it next to the terminal?

Thoughts?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I think Rene Ritchie from iMore said it will still work on the X.

But personally I've always double tapped first. For two reasons: Touch ID failing is very embarrassing in front of a cashier, and when using it on the tube every second counts before people start tutting and rolling their eyes. :p

Reactions: Derekeys and azing

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think Rene Ritchie from iMore said it will still work on the X.

But personally I've always double tapped first. For two reasons: Touch ID failing is very embarrassing in front of a cashier, and when using it on the tube every second counts before people start tutting and rolling their eyes. :p

Yes, I do experience the occasional silent judgement when using my phone or watch. But we press on, because we hate wallets! ...

Well, I hate my wallet. I want my phone to do everything my wallet currently does. Until then, let the haters hate. :)

Reactions: azing

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
On an iPhone prior to the X, am I the only one who enjoyed that Apple Pay would automatically become an option when holding it near a POS terminal instead of double tapping on the home button?

So, two questions: will that still work on the X? And if not, why does Apple think that double tapping the side button is a more seamless experience then merely holding it next to the terminal?

Thoughts?

Ugh. NO, it looks like it will NOT work that way. I'm kind of disappointed about this as well. You have to first authenticate via FaceID, THEN put your phone by the reader. Where, now you hold phone by reader and then use touchID.

I don't know why Apple won't let you authenticate via faceID after holding to reader (unless the positioning is an issue)? And, to make things worse, if you want to switch from your default card, you need to reauthenticate via FaceID????? I'm excited about the iPhone X, but I'm not happy about the ApplePay implementation.

Here's Apples' Doc on the subject:

https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

Face ID and Apple Pay You can also use Face ID with Apple Pay to make easy and secure purchases in stores, apps, and on the web.
Face ID Security September 2017

To authorize an in-store payment with Face ID, you must first confirm intent 
 to pay by double-clicking the side button. You then authenticate using Face ID before placing your iPhone X near the contactless payment reader. 
 If you’d like to select a different Apple Pay payment method after Face ID authentication, you’ll need to reauthenticate, but you won’t have to double-click the side button again.​

Last edited:

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Apple Watch it is!
The problem with this is, by holding the phone to a reader FIRST, you could tell (usually) whether it actually accepted apple pay. There are readers out there that look like apple pay will work, but no, it doesn't. So now you have to double-click, authenticate via faceID, and then perhaps find out they don't really accept apple pay at that merchant, despite having the hardware that looks like they do?????? To me, this is a step backward.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
The problem with this is, by holding the phone to a reader FIRST, you could tell (usually) whether it actually accepted apple pay. There are readers out there that look like apple pay will work, but no, it doesn't. So now you have to double-click, authenticate via faceID, and then perhaps find out they don't really accept apple pay at that merchant, despite having the hardware that looks like they do?????? To me, this is a step backward.
That's a solid point. I did use that technique of holding it near the terminal to see if it would work. Darn. I really do wonder if the Touch ID under the screen will ever be in the works. I know Apple will want to go all in on the Face ID, but we will see!

I don't want to be cynical, I want Face ID to be awesome, but I remain cautious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.