Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
Hi,

i do charge my iPhone X on a Qi charger over night since over an year by now.
Optimized loading procedure is activated and there was never an issue with that.

Since updating to 14.0.1 Qi charging is very very slow (on the exact same charger). And tonight it failed to charge up to 100% until my daily wake up time. It stuck at 80%.

Battery Health is at 89%.

Is i a known issue? Or do you hane any clue?
Thanks in advance!

camilasaunder89

Suspended
Aug 12, 2020
It is not a known issue. Just switch off the iPhone for a while and then see the results. If it doesn't help then contact Apple support.

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
It seems to be a never ending story with the mail app. :(

Attachments

• 51D7A53B-21B3-425B-9197-E09F7FFE4A5B.jpeg
    51D7A53B-21B3-425B-9197-E09F7FFE4A5B.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 213

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
I deleted Apple Watch and iPhone and restored it from backup.
But the mail App still uses an huge amount of battery capacity with background activity.

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
That adresses the overnight charging issue.
But what‘s about the battery sucking mail app?

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Maybe: disable push and periodic pull, and switch to manual. Meaning: when you open Mail it checks the status.

I also have severe battery drain on iOS 14.0.1 + Apple Watch (6). But it doesn't show any app as the culprit.

Guy Brush

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2019
I, too, get severe battery drain on both my iPhones (work and private, iPhone 8 and 11 Pro Max) as well as both Apple Watches (Series 4).
However, my girlfried is experiencing the same with her 11 Pro, which is still on iOS 13.7, though!
It all started some time after updating our AppleTV to tvOS 14 and I've found this thread on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/j3vea0
So my guess is that the battery drain is connected to the data usage (for me it's in the range of 3-5GB per day on top of my normal usage) that is constantly happening in the background.
Hopefully the next update will solve that, can't wait for it as this is really, really annoying.

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
Any new hints?

What I tried until now:
1) Unpaired Apple Watch (S4)
2) restored iPhone (X) to factory setting
3) restored iPhone from backup
4) restored Apple Watch from backup

But it didn’t help.

iPhone is still getting hot with littlest use. It seems that there is some heavy workload done in background because it reacts very slowly. Even homescreen animations e.g. opening an app folder aren’t fluid. The same with iCloud background sync.

One full charge lasts half a day without any serious usage.

iPhone X @ iOS 14.0.1
Apple Watch S4 @ WatchOS 7.0.2
Apple TV (4k) @ TVOS 14.0.2

Guy Brush

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2019
Try logging out of iCloud on your AppleTV - reboot - then log in again.
Apparently, that has solved the symptoms I was experiencing.
HTH!

Reactions: Henk Poley

Guy Brush

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2019
In your HomeKit HomeHub overview, what does it look like?
Are you also experiencing increased data transfer usage (also in WiFi)?

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
No increased data usage for HomeKit.

That's what it looks today with near to no usage during the day.
Data traffic is about to 11.4 MB since yesterday evening.

Unknown.png

Guy Brush

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2019
Have you tried disabling pushing e-mails or automatically fetching them on a schedule?
You should switch all e-mail retrieval to manual and see what happens.

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
Push was activated all the time.
I will try.

Another question:
I started updating iOS to 14.1 yesterday at 9 pm. Now it is 6.30 am and my iPhone X is still preparing.

I started that update on my workphone (iPhone 8) and my iPad Pro as well - they did it in no time compared to my private iPhone X.
Is there an hardware check i can do on my own to test wether there is an hardware issue with my X or not?

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
It took about 9 hours to update to iOS 14.1 on iPhone X.
I hope all the bugfixes will solve my issues as well.

Full charging is not the problem any more. Energy saving option (i think you mean that) isn't necessary any more.

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
Still the same. I have to charge over night and afternoon to make it through the day.

Cutting off all background activities with the energy saving option enabled works quite well. But that‘s not (my) idea of using a smartphone all day.

The iPhone still gets really warm while using online apps as Safari, Mail, Twitter, Insta etc.

Reactions: Henk Poley

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Just a heads-up.

There is this macOS app called CoconutBattery. Which can request the battery health through the Lightning port.

When I plugged in my iPhone with the battery discharged <<40%, it showed 57.5% health. And in the next few seconds it quickly went up to 95% health while charging. The iPhone Settings still show 100% health, which is in principle normal, with the battery at 95% health, depends on where you set the original capacity figure.

But of course not that it showed much lower health for a second or so. Apparently this third party battery manufacturer figured out a way to hide the actual level from the OS ?/?. The 4.5 hours screen on time at 57.5% health is more in line with what you expect from browsing a mildly heavy website like Twitter.

Given that it hides it from iOS pretty well, it wouldn't surprise me if this battery gauge could also be found in official Apple batteries (or where a manufacturer mixed it up a bit).

Last edited:

red-polo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
Have been watching it for a few days now. No more problems (until now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.