Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Los Angeles
This has been driving me insane since Monday. My phone restarted itself overnight (I use the Pillow sleep tracking app) and when I took it off the charger it showed 28%. My phone is plugged in on my commute to work using Waze and has lasted the entire day without dying - so far. I took it off the charger this morning and it was at 31% and it has worked its way down to 7%, even setting off the low power alert (but got nothing at 20%). I attached screenshots of my battery usage (the phone was plugged in for about 2 minutes before the screenshot showing usage).

The battery life seems to be fine, just something freaked out the OS Sunday night and it hasn’t been the same since. I’ve hard restarted the phone 6 times this week and still to no avail. I’m fairly certain it’s a software issue because each hard restart changes the battery life percentage. Anybody else having a similar experience? I’m hoping it’s a bug Apple’s aware of because it drives me nuts seeing no battery life on my phone.
[doublepost=1511391199][/doublepost]Also, I'm up to date on iOS, ver. 11.1.2 (15B202)

Attachments

• 97D7D603-9A9B-42BE-B9AE-A493A1BECA21.png
    97D7D603-9A9B-42BE-B9AE-A493A1BECA21.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 36,061
  • AF072C7A-CB6E-4E71-9A71-5B13B3217960.png
    AF072C7A-CB6E-4E71-9A71-5B13B3217960.png
    465.7 KB · Views: 3,821
Reactions: at78rpm

joeami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Los Angeles
My battery indicator is not even close to showing the correct battery percentage. Even after being on the charger all night long, the battery will only show 31% in the morning. I’m curious if anyone else is having issues with the battery life display. It’s not a physical battery issue, my phone is staying powered throughout the entire day

Reactions: Livi

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
My battery indicator is not even close to showing the correct battery percentage. Even after being on the charger all night long, the battery will only show 31% in the morning. I’m curious if anyone else is having issues with the battery life display. It’s not a physical battery issue, my phone is staying powered throughout the entire day
Sounds like it's broken, go have it checked.

joeami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Los Angeles
I’m not yet convinced it’s a hardware issue. With the phone plugged in, it showed 1% battery life. Turned off the phone, it would not start up and just gave me the low battery life indicator. Do a hard restart and it started right up.

I had the phone turned off and connected to the charger for 10 minutes and the battery indicator didn’t move from 1%.

Nobody else is having anything remotely similar to this problem?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If it’s a software issue this should be widespread. In a forum like this where the smallest problems are being magnified to a worldwide scandal, you’re sure this board will be full of this already.

So I think it’s a hardware issue and you should have it replaced.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Step son has a 5s and it does that. It’s also on its last leg battery wise. Your phone needs replacing.

joeami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Los Angeles
If it’s a software issue this should be widespread. In a forum like this where the smallest problems are being magnified to a worldwide scandal, you’re sure this board will be full of this already.

So I think it’s a hardware issue and you should have it replaced.

Probably the closest thing to help I’ve seen so far. Hopefully it makes through the weekend. I’m not going to an apple store for a warranty issue on the busiest shopping weekend of the year

Reactions: haruhiko

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
I’m not yet convinced it’s a hardware issue. With the phone plugged in, it showed 1% battery life. Turned off the phone, it would not start up and just gave me the low battery life indicator. Do a hard restart and it started right up.

I had the phone turned off and connected to the charger for 10 minutes and the battery indicator didn’t move from 1%.

Nobody else is having anything remotely similar to this problem?
Did you try a different charger? It’s either the charger or the phone.

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Get a replacement, The battery is good on the X but not as good as the plus.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I see this happens with non original Apple cables. Do you have an original Apple charging cable and power socket?

joeami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Los Angeles
I see this happens with non original Apple cables. Do you have an original Apple charging cable and power socket?

I use an apple cable plugged into a USB wall socket, so I'll try the Apple wall plug idea and see if that makes a difference. The phone finally died and it doesn't show the charging symbol anymore, so it just might be a hardware issue after all. I'm gonna try all the stops once I get home from work tonight, so I'll update if anything seems to fix it or if I have the phone replaced.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My wife's 6 got into a charging fit, or rather a non-charging fit, recently. A two-button reset got the charge controller or whatever other components weren't recognizing the charge to wake up, and all has been well since (> week). Worth a try...

joeami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Los Angeles
I'm convinced it's a hardware issue at this point. Had it plugged in all night using the included wall plug and lightning cable, woke up this morning to find 1% battery life. Backed it up to my computer and did a factory reset, plugged it back in and still no battery life or charging indicator. This is gonna be a fun weekend :rolleyes:

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
The iPhone X doesn’t show battery percentage outside of the Settings.

Your pillow app may be the problem.
I’m sorry -but, a lot bothers me, this simply doesn’t because of the great battery life! And you simply swipe down to look, how hard is that lol? Way too technical- just ENJOY the phone lol. You know how many people would love to have one ?

at78rpm

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2017
I empathize with the thread starter. My 5s was fine until the 11.1.1 update -- then I was out on a cold day, walking, and when I went to take a photo, the screen would not respond. Nothing. As if it were dead. Would not restart. Next day I find the update to 11.1.2 was due to the improper response to rapid temperature fluctuations. I sincerely doubt the original post's problem was bad hardware. I think Apple's updates have sucked for some time. Somehow there's a software conflict. My wife has a 6s and the same programs that I do, and her batter has done the exact same thing as mine since the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.