Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
I left my iPhone X to an Apple authorised service point to take advantage of the battery replacement program.

They said it will take 2-3 days because they had to order the battery and speaker.
I asked what was wrong with the speaker and how much that is going to cost?
They replied that the speaker does not cost extra and it has to be changed together with the battery.

I find weird that the speaker needs to change with the battery. Is this the case with the iPhone X?

ABNL

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
I left my iPhone X to an Apple authorised service point to take advantage of the battery replacement program.

They said it will take 2-3 days because they had to order the battery and speaker.
I asked what was wrong with the speaker and how much that is going to cost?
They replied that the speaker does not cost extra and it has to be changed together with the battery.

I find weird that the speaker needs to change with the battery. Is this the case with the iPhone X?
They have to replace the speaker because it has a gasket to prevent moisture from getting into the device.
The speaker is stuck to the housing.

Reactions: MjWoNeR

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I sent my 7 in for battery replacement under apple care plus which was about to run out in a few days. When I got it back the report showed they changed the battery, speaker/microphone and the main logic board in my case. All costs were covered under the warranty. So maybe the speaker does have something to do with the water resistance.

Reactions: MjWoNeR

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I sent my X back to Apple this week to get battery replaced. Invoice said they replaced speaker too. Wondered why and Google found this thread. Was pleased as phone calls sounded a bit distorted, fixed now. ?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They replaced the speaker gasket, not the speaker. ?

Can you imagine if Apple designed an iPhone that required full speaker replacement with every battery replacement?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
They replaced the speaker gasket, not the speaker. ?

Can you imagine if Apple designed an iPhone that required full speaker replacement with every battery replacement?
Not that hard to imagine to be honest

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.