Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
Hey,
First post so please go easy ;)

I got an iPhone X just under 2 weeks ago and after doing some tests with brightness at the bottom, true tone off, nightshift off and using some of the very dark grey images people have posted here I notice the bottom half (more on the right side) seems brighter than the top. Its hard to explain but basically its like radial light bleeding (although I know thats not possible on OLED) from the bottom right.
I am trying to grab a picture using another phone to show but its like this picture on this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-oled-backlight-bleeding.2094762/#post-25591081
but bottom right area and less intense/more spread out to nearly the halfway line of the screen.
I am not sure how good the oled lottery can get and since my return period is up very soon I am possibly being more paranoid than anything, I do have apple care but I dont know how good/bad that is as getting this stuff sorted after the 14 day period.

If anyone has similar or has had similar and got it fixed that would help with any example photos they have taken.

Thanks

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
If you’re screen is defective taking it in would be the best option. If you are seeing this then you have a defective unit. Also, surely you could have addressed this issue during the 14 day cool off period. Or did this only just appear. If so it could possibly be a burn in issue. Still shouldn’t be happening so soon though.

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Brighter bottoms appear to be commonplace. I have seen it on the two units I have tried and see it to more and lesser degrees on many of the units I see in stores. Do you notice whether it seems to diminish over time or change appearance if you move to landscape orientation? There are times when I don't see the short much at all and it makes me wonder how much if it is optical illusion or if it has something to do with unit warmth. It seems to me that the darker quadrant I see in many Xs corresponds to the the area where there is no battery.

Just spitballing.

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
It doesn't seem to change much over time tbh. I noticed it quite a bit in tapatalk and mixer (the settings cog in landscape)
Does apples holiday return policy apply to UK retail purchases as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.