Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
Hi everyone,

Ever since I updated my iPhone X to iOS 14 (running iOS 14.3 currently) my camera has been crashing. It works via Instagram (low quality). I’ve updated iOS 14 twice now and have even reset my settings twice but still no luck. It worked for a day after updating to iOS 14.3 but it’s not functioning again.

If anyone has a solution please HELP!

gren81

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
The QR scan was not working on my iPhone X but it does on my wife’s iPhone 8. Mine used to work - maybe a user error or setup issue, but I am thinking not.

Jabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
The QR scan was not working on my iPhone X but it does on my wife’s iPhone 8. Mine used to work - maybe a user error or setup issue, but I am thinking not.
Definitely not.. I have read a few threads across the net about this very issue, iOS 14.2 particularly.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hi everyone,

Ever since I updated my iPhone X to iOS 14 (running iOS 14.3 currently) my camera has been crashing. It works via Instagram (low quality). I’ve updated iOS 14 twice now and have even reset my settings twice but still no luck. It worked for a day after updating to iOS 14.3 but it’s not functioning again.

If anyone has a solution please HELP!
What have you tried so far? My X hasn't had any camera issues on any version of iOS14.. QR codes and app clips are recognized too (although app clips say no data found after scanning, I don't think any developers have released any yet officially)

Jabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
What have you tried so far? My X hasn't had any camera issues on any version of iOS14.. QR codes and app clips are recognized too (although app clips say no data found after scanning, I don't think any developers have released any yet officially)
I have tried closing and reopening the app, restarting the phone, disabling the voice over function and reset my iphone. Still nothing.

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
Hello...I am also having camera issues on 14.3.

I see all of the options like photo, video, portrait, timer, auto...however, the viewfinder is BLACK...no subject matter at all. I did a hard reset, but this did not help the problem. I reset all settings, but this did not help either.

The front-facing camera is working. My iPhone X was recently replaced by Apple a few months ago and it has been running great...camera included.

I hope 14.4 fixes this problem.

Jabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
Hello...I am also having camera issues on 14.3.

I see all of the options like photo, video, portrait, timer, auto...however, the viewfinder is BLACK...no subject matter at all. I did a hard reset, but this did not help the problem. I reset all settings, but this did not help either.

The front-facing camera is working. My iPhone X was recently replaced by Apple a few months ago and it has been running great...camera included.

I hope 14.4 fixes this problem.
That is precisely my issue as well. What steps can we take to alert apple or get a resolution before iOS 14.4?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
What steps can we take to alert apple or get a resolution before iOS 14.4?
There's always the feedback form, though many say it's a long shot. Social media e.g. @AppleSupport

Anyway... As for some quick troubleshooting...

1. Does the camera feed show with third-party apps? (This would essentially eliminate a hardware problem)
2. Does the (Apple) Camera app trigger the camera hardware access indicator, a green dot in the upper right of the status bar?
camera_access.jpg

To me, it seems akin to a privacy/access permission problem. However, I can't find any way to manage camera and microphone access for Apple's own (included) apps.

Jabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
1. Yes, as you can see below, it works with instagram but the quality of the pictures/videos is low quality.

CE4BED30-D4A9-463F-8C74-FBD749ABC6A9.png

2. No, the indicator does not show up when using the Apple camera

5D18EB7A-9538-4364-B20B-77EE3759CE20.png

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
That is strange. I'm still leaning towards an access permission issue. If it were me with your issue, from least to most obnoxious, I'd try:

1. Tap the shutter/record button to see if iOS prompts for camera/microphone access permission
2. Quit the Camera app via app switcher then go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> Camera -> Ask Next Time -- I know this is location and not camera hardware access but MAYBE... ?‍♂️
3. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location and Privacy then reboot iPhone then try Camera app
4. Ensure backup and restore iPhone -- I assume you might wait for another iOS update before trying this one

Reactions: Jabs

Jabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
That is strange. I'm still leaning towards an access permission issue. If it were me with your issue, from least to most obnoxious, I'd try:

1. Tap the shutter/record button to see if iOS prompts for camera/microphone access permission
2. Quit the Camera app via app switcher then go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> Camera -> Ask Next Time -- I know this is location and not camera hardware access but MAYBE... ?‍♂️
3. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location and Privacy then reboot iPhone then try Camera app
4. Ensure backup and restore iPhone -- I assume you might wait for another iOS update before trying this one
You sir are a genius! Step 1 and 2 did not work but step 3 was the lucky charm! I hope this lasts and I don’t have to keep redoing this step just to make my camera work. Thank you so much man!

69CB2BE8-4E17-46C3-B198-617D686FEB4A.png

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Jabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020

It’s down again smh.. I will attempt Step 4, and see how long that fix lasts..

• Sad
Reactions: MacCheetah3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.