Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bboyce2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Curious to see if others had a similar problem, or seen anything about it...

I setup my X the other day, but hadn't moved over my SIM card to the new phone until I could get it a case and put on a screen protector. So, I put it in Airplane Mode and back in the box. After about two hours, I got home to put the case on it, and after taking it out of the box, the screen is complete unresponsive to touch.

First I thought it had to do with the cold temperature issue, despite it not being that cold, and did a hard reset, then a restore/update. Nothing. Tried to every possible solution: restore, recovery mode, DFU mode, downgraded the software (just in case). And nothing.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, or found a solution? I contacted Apple and they took it in to repair/replace (I don't have an Apple Store nearby). They weren't sure either, but I found it odd that it was great, then out of nowhere the digitizer gave out. It's doing something, though, because the phone gets incredibly hot on the back when it's on, and the battery died very quickly while in setup mode.

Another interesting note, when plugged into a MacBook Pro, it said I needed to do something for it to be used with a Windows computer, it thought it was an iPod, and it gave it a weird name that was just a string of special characters. So odd...

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Curious to see if others had a similar problem, or seen anything about it...

I setup my X the other day, but hadn't moved over my SIM card to the new phone until I could get it a case and put on a screen protector. So, I put it in Airplane Mode and back in the box. After about two hours, I got home to put the case on it, and after taking it out of the box, the screen is complete unresponsive to touch.

First I thought it had to do with the cold temperature issue, despite it not being that cold, and did a hard reset, then a restore/update. Nothing. Tried to every possible solution: restore, recovery mode, DFU mode, downgraded the software (just in case). And nothing.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, or found a solution? I contacted Apple and they took it in to repair/replace (I don't have an Apple Store nearby). They weren't sure either, but I found it odd that it was great, then out of nowhere the digitizer gave out. It's doing something, though, because the phone gets incredibly hot on the back when it's on, and the battery died very quickly while in setup mode.

Another interesting note, when plugged into a MacBook Pro, it said I needed to do something for it to be used with a Windows computer, it thought it was an iPod, and it gave it a weird name that was just a string of special characters. So odd...

I had a similar problem with my new iPhone X. Here’s what happened and how I fixed it:

The screen became unresponsive about a week after I got it. I called Apple and they tried to get me to do a hard reboot, but it wouldn’t. So I took it into the Apple store - they were able to hard reboot without any special equipment, which fixed the problem. How to hard reboot:
1. Press up volume and let go quickly
2. Press down volume and let go quickly
3. Press and hold for a long time the side button opposite the volume buttons. Hold until the Apple logo appears.

Step 3 took a long time, apparently I wasn’t holding it long enough when I tried it at home.

bboyce2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I had a similar problem with my new iPhone X. Here’s what happened and how I fixed it:

The screen became unresponsive about a week after I got it. I called Apple and they tried to get me to do a hard reboot, but it wouldn’t. So I took it into the Apple store - they were able to hard reboot without any special equipment, which fixed the problem. How to hard reboot:
1. Press up volume and let go quickly
2. Press down volume and let go quickly
3. Press and hold for a long time the side button opposite the volume buttons. Hold until the Apple logo appears.

Step 3 took a long time, apparently I wasn’t holding it long enough when I tried it at home.

Tried that as well. Not sure what mine’s problem was/is. I tried the hard reboot, then a restore/update, entered recovery mode, then lastly DFU mode. Nada. The customer service guy was at a loss, too. I just hope they replace it with a new device, not just change the screen. Considering the heat I could feel after a minute of being on the “Hello” screen, I’m concerned there are much bigger problems with this device.

jeffm5690

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Tried that as well. Not sure what mine’s problem was/is. I tried the hard reboot, then a restore/update, entered recovery mode, then lastly DFU mode. Nada. The customer service guy was at a loss, too. I just hope they replace it with a new device, not just change the screen. Considering the heat I could feel after a minute of being on the “Hello” screen, I’m concerned there are much bigger problems with this device.

Had the exact same issue with my 256 silver. Restore fail, brought to store, they got it going I’m a restore. 6 hours later, the same problem. Brought back in and was told I was the 2nd guy today with the problem and we were both about a week of use. Handed me a brand new phone and said it must be hardware issue.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Had the exact same issue with my 256 silver. Restore fail, brought to store, they got it going I’m a restore. 6 hours later, the same problem. Brought back in and was told I was the 2nd guy today with the problem and we were both about a week of use. Handed me a brand new phone and said it must be hardware issue.

Was it a genius bar phone?

bboyce2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Texas

Interesting. Mine was also a 256 silver. Sadly, I didn’t get a week out of it, and none of the restored worked. That’s great they swapped it out of for a brand new one. Fingers crossed that’s what I get, not that there’s been much time for a refurbished one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Interesting. Mine was also a 256 silver. Sadly, I didn’t get a week out of it, and none of the restored worked. That’s great they swapped it out of for a brand new one. Fingers crossed that’s what I get, not that there’s been much time for a refurbished one.

Even if you do receive a refurbished unit in a white box, rest assured, you receive a new battery, display and casing. It's literally a new device, with the exception of the logic board being used. And if it was used, it's likely slightly used being iPhone X's only have been available three weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.