Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does Your iPhone X Screen have banding when displaying the image at lowest brightness?

• Total voters

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Hey iPhone X owners, would you mind downloading this image (https://imgur.com/gallery/PO7fF) , then go into a dark room, set your brightness to minimum, open the image on your phone and zoom all the way in so the image fills the screen. Do you see lines/banding similar to this image of an LG OLED TV?
1a49b4f27db4265299e78b7f337d2f1a.jpg

Reactions: 5pctoff

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I just tried your test. Kind of looks similar, but not exactly any distinct “bands” like that. It looks more like what you’d see if you shine a dim light through a cheap bed sheet or something. I’m not really sure how to describe it other than it kinda looks like cloth. I’m not sure what this means, or if it would ever have any real-world usage effect on me though. Is this an OLED thing or something? I was under the impression that OLED is supposed to excel at brights and pure black, so is this dim test expected?

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
I just tried your test. Kind of looks similar, but not exactly any distinct “bands” like that. It looks more like what you’d see if you shine a dim light through a cheap bed sheet or something. I’m not really sure how to describe it other than it kinda looks like cloth. I’m not sure what this means, or if it would ever have any real-world usage effect on me though. Is this an OLED thing or something? I was under the impression that OLED is supposed to excel at brights and pure black, so is this dim test expected?

I’m not sure either, just seeing if this is normal from other people. Thanks for your response though. I had a Galaxy S3 back in the day and the OLED wasn’t good at all, when displaying greys you’d see blotches of brightness variation. I would’ve thought that this issue was resolved in OLED displays of this day and age but it seems like my iPhone X at least is still somewhat affected. Now I just want to know if this is normal or not. Even someone with a modern Galaxy phone could provide us with some answers since it’s the same display tech and manufacturer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.