Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geohei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Hi.

Hope this is the correct forum.

My iPhone X fell today. The display is (almost) dead (some green display upper right side still visisble). I can enter the password blindly, which I used to access the iPhone X via MacBook and make a backup. Haptics work as well. Basically it seems to be alive, apart from the display, which is not even scratched or shattered.

I'm a bit lost about diagnose. Not sure if it is the screen or some internal electronic damage. Is there any historical well known diagnose which matches my case?

If it is the screen, may I use one of the self repair kits on the market (+/- 110 €)?
What's the experience?

Or shall I give it to Apple for repair?
What are their fees (could not find anything)?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You can use the iPhone screen replacement estimator tool to find out what it might cost.

I just tried it for the iPhone X and got this. You should try it yourself if you decide to have Apple do the repair.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 12.04.26 PM.png

Reactions: geohei

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Checkout the guides on iFixit and see if maybe it is just a loose cable (this actually happened to me with an iPhone years ago). If that doesn't work then it's up to you to decide if a screen replacement is worth it to you to hang onto your X a bit longer. Keep in mind that once you open the phone any water intrusion resistance it had will be gone...

geohei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
@WildSky

Thanks for reply.

Does my diagnose match the screen replacement program of Apple, or is there a possibility that something else other than the screen is gone?

What about the do-it-yourself repair (see link above)?
I have no experience (neither info) and never heart anything regarding probability if this will fix the problem.

Last edited:

geohei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
@bodonnell202

I reckon the iPhone X Disassembly is the right one, correct?
Water resistance - you mean once opened, it will indicate that water intrusion despite there was none?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
@bodonnell202

I reckon the iPhone X Disassembly is the right one, correct?
Water resistance - you mean once opened, it will indicate that water intrusion despite there was none?
Yeah, just maybe look for one specific to screen replacement so you can figure out which cables to check.

No, it won't indicate that there was water intrusion if there was none, just that your device won't really be water resistant any more.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Does my diagnose match the screen replacement program of Apple, or is there a possibility that something else other than the screen is gone?

I have no experience (neither info) and never heart anything regarding probability if this will fix the problem.
For the screen replacement and to diagnose possible other issues, Apple would have to examine the phone. It's a tough thing to try to do online. I have no experience with phone DIY repair, so will leave it to others to advise you.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
@WildSky

Thanks for reply.

Since the phone worked properly before you dropped it, I'd say the display has been damaged by the impact.. The replacement program for the X expires exactly 3 years after the original purchase of the device. If you're not the original owner the replacement date starts when the phone was bought from Apple regardless of who owns it down the road. If you're going to have the display replacement by a 3rd party, make sure they don't replace it with a lcd screen as these damage the display driver over time (the lcd is much cheaper repair cost). Ifixit has an oled kit that includes everything required including the display seal/adhesive.. $120 U.S. isn't a bad deal either.. Stay away from lcd...

geohei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Since the phone worked properly before you dropped it, I'd say the display has been damaged by the impact.. The replacement program for the X expires exactly 3 years after the original purchase of the device. If you're not the original owner the replacement date starts when the phone was bought from Apple regardless of who owns it down the road. If you're going to have the display replacement by a 3rd party, make sure they don't replace it with a lcd screen as these damage the display driver over time (the lcd is much cheaper repair cost). Ifixit has an oled kit that includes everything required including the display seal/adhesive.. $120 U.S. isn't a bad deal either.. Stay away from lcd...
I decided to repair by local 3rd party. I opted for OLED for 119.- €. LCD would have been 59.- € and OLED OEM 219.- €. The repair was done in 15 minutes. I assisted and can say, that the display change is not as easy as expected after viewing some DIY pages and videos.

Many thanks for all the replies!

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I decided to repair by local 3rd party. I opted for OLED for 119.- €. LCD would have been 59.- € and OLED OEM 219.- €. The repair was done in 15 minutes. I assisted and can say, that the display change is not as easy as expected after viewing some DIY pages and videos.

Many thanks for all the replies!
Congratulations! The X is a great phone and should continue to serve you well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.