Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Bought 2 new iPhone x 64gb from Verizon. Set up both on Friday. The face ID worked for one day on one and the other one is fine. Called Apple help today and went through some trouble shooting and my problem was escalated to an Apple engineer. They said it needs to be taken into an apple repair facility. I took it in today and they could not fix it, so they are ordering me a replacement phone. Although they had an identical replacement phone in the store, which i saw, they would not replace it with that one. The Store manager said it had to be replaced with a service department unit to be ordered because I bought it from Verizon and not Apple. They estimated that it would take up to 5 business days. The service tech said that Apple Corporate has requested that the store send this defective phone back to corporate service to examine the reason for the failure. The error code under settings reads " a problem has been detected with the truedepth camera. Face id has been disabled"

Giantscruz

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
Yay Area
This is the same issue I had and posted about. Complete BS from Apple. Your experience is almost identical to mine as I too saw them take out a brand new replacement phone, onły to later be told they couldn’t give me that phone.

To add to the failure, they wouldn’t send it to the ATT store in the city I live, they would only send it to the Apple store an hour away.
[doublepost=1509984528][/doublepost]My rear camera never worked, Face ID worked for 2 hrs Friday, but was disabled.

bfil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
They ordered and replaced my phone in 2 days with a service department unit that only included the phone. Replaced phone works fine.

Solve4X

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2017
Face ID disabled for the fourth time with message "A problem was detected with the TrueDepth Camera. Face ID has been disabled". Sending it in for repair.

Note: I have been able to reset FaceID after rebooting the phone… but I now expect it to be disabled again soon.

Update 24 November 2017: iPhone X is now with Apple for repair. I chose to send it back by UPS rather than Apple Store because (1) Apple Stores in my country have no units available and (2) No time to go and wait for Genius Bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giantscruz

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
They estimated that it would take up to 5 business days. The service tech said that Apple Corporate has requested that the store send this defective phone back to corporate service to examine the reason for the failure.

Pfft, great customer service, eh? And ooh, "corporate"-- that sounds important, like the request came from Tim Cook himself, lol. Not making fun of you, I'm making fun of the Apple Store and how terrible it's become under Angela Ahrendts.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Pfft, great customer service, eh? And ooh, "corporate"-- that sounds important, like the request came from Tim Cook himself, lol. Not making fun of you, I'm making fun of the Apple Store and how terrible it's become under Angela Ahrendts.

You resurrected A thread to disparage against an Apple store and Angela Ahrendts? To refute what you're saying, every store experience I have been to, has been nothing but stellar. So perhaps maybe I should congratulate Angela on that as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.