Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
So I encountered a weird issue while not even using my iPhone X today.

I was using it for navigation on my dashboard and I went to grab my phone after getting to where I needed. I noticed that I got an error saying my FaceID had been disabled and to visit my settings to review.

I went into settings and it told me that my FaceID had been disabled due to a problem with the TrueDepth camera system. I wasn’t even using my phone prior to picking it up and getting out of the car. I restarted it and the messages have gone away and it’s functioning fine now.

I’m a little worried that this may be a recurring issue? Has this happened to anyone else?

Attachments

• 1783BF84-BAC3-4F38-9DB5-99119F2BC69A.png
    1783BF84-BAC3-4F38-9DB5-99119F2BC69A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 878
  • E8E8210C-7A82-4506-9012-21DFDEF0AA67.png
    E8E8210C-7A82-4506-9012-21DFDEF0AA67.png
    408.7 KB · Views: 584
  • 5A7F72A6-008F-48F1-883D-DCCEC8711C09.png
    5A7F72A6-008F-48F1-883D-DCCEC8711C09.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 563
Reactions: DeepIn2U

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
So I encountered a weird issue while not even using my iPhone X today.

I was using it for navigation on my dashboard and I went to grab my phone after getting to where I needed. I noticed that I got an error saying my FaceID had been disabled and to visit my settings to review.

I went into settings and it told me that my FaceID had been disabled due to a problem with the TrueDepth camera system. I wasn’t even using my phone prior to picking it up and getting out of the car. I restarted it and the messages have gone away and it’s functioning fine now.

I’m a little worried that this may be a recurring issue? Has this happened to anyone else?
Maybe an hour of GPS got it so hot it turns off? Was it charging also?

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Maybe an hour of GPS got it so hot it turns off? Was it charging also?

No. I had used FaceID to unlock the phone to turn off the navigation. Parked, grabbed my phone to get out and the error was there.

It wasn’t charging, I had the low power mode on to conserve battery but it was still at about 70%. It was a cloudy day in LA so there was no direct sun hiting it. It wasn’t even warm to the touch.
[doublepost=1509858715][/doublepost]
Yeah - it's defective. Get it exchanged with Apple using those screenshots as proof.

Yeah, unfortunately all of the Apple Stores in Los Angeles have nothing available soon for the Genius Bar. I made an appointment to get it services/swapped once I get home to Las Vegas

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
So i spoke with Apple Support and they told me there's nothing that can be done until the error can been seen in person. So i'm expected to leave my phone alone with FaceID disabled and hope that Apple has some appointment soon (usually within about 2-3 days here in Vegas) so that way they can see the malfunction.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
That's ridiculous that they wouldn't replace with screenshots.

So I went in to Apple on Saturday because the issue kept happening. The Genius helping me was just going to notate my account and send me on my way. Towards the end, he saw there was an option for an “EFA Capture” (not sure if the acronym is correct?). Basically, since the device is still new and there’s this error, Apple wanted my device to troubleshoot it and run testing on it. So I left with a new replacement.

Reactions: haruhiko

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
So I went in to Apple on Saturday because the issue kept happening. The Genius helping me was just going to notate my account and send me on my way. Towards the end, he saw there was an option for an “EFA Capture” (not sure if the acronym is correct?). Basically, since the device is still new and there’s this error, Apple wanted my device to troubleshoot it and run testing on it. So I left with a new replacement.

Awesome! Glad it worked out.

Reactions: simplynando

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Great finding!!

I would have immediately thought

A) you're a developer or b) the phone is corporately owned and a new profile settib. Was pushed to the X! Third line of thinking would have me check in Settings > Profiles or MDM Profiles.

Next, I would've guessed is this some sort of safety setting Apple would have been testing with and failed to remove from code. Still, the timing of this finding is perfect!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.