Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zztops

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
hey everyone,

Quick question:

I bought the Apple fast charging overpriced set up for my iPhone X, but I am experiencing an issue. Well not sure if it’s an issue, but wanted ur guys’ feedback.

From 0%-50% battery life, my iPhone uses the full fast charging capability, from then on the phone automatically throttles this speed down to prevent damage to the battery. When I plug the phone in at below 50% it only tries to connect once. When I plug it in to the fast charger at above 50%, it connects, then quickly disconnects and reconnects. I’m wondering if that’s because it’s going into the safety mode I described above. Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks!

Reactions: Shaarujon567

Fitcherama

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
I’m glad I caught this thread. Yes, same happening to me. Must be baked into the software then.

Juvekar

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
I have the Apple 29w charger and cable and haven't experienced that kind of behavior. Will be interested to see if others have.
[doublepost=1518062649][/doublepost]Hi i too have 29w original charger for X when i start charging from around below 20% it charges very fast but automatically disconnects at 81% no matter what i do tgen i have to reconnect and it continues slowly

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
hey everyone,

Quick question:

I bought the Apple fast charging overpriced set up for my iPhone X, but I am experiencing an issue. Well not sure if it’s an issue, but wanted ur guys’ feedback.

From 0%-50% battery life, my iPhone uses the full fast charging capability, from then on the phone automatically throttles this speed down to prevent damage to the battery. When I plug the phone in at below 50% it only tries to connect once. When I plug it in to the fast charger at above 50%, it connects, then quickly disconnects and reconnects. I’m wondering if that’s because it’s going into the safety mode I described above. Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks!

Working exactly as designed to prevent overheating. It's a safety feature.

I have the Apple 29w charger and cable and haven't experienced that kind of behavior. Will be interested to see if others have.

Somethings wrong with your changer and or phone. You should take it into Apple.

illmaticwes

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I just wanted to see if I understand this since I'm pretty frustrated with my iPhone X fast charging setup. Are we saying that after 50% fast charging is no longer enabled ? That's a key data point for those who are struggling to get the right pieces in place.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I just wanted to see if I understand this since I'm pretty frustrated with my iPhone X fast charging setup. Are we saying that after 50% fast charging is no longer enabled ? That's a key data point for those who are struggling to get the right pieces in place.
Although I was vaguely aware of the fact that charging speed was reduced as the battery percentage increased, I did not think that full power charging would drop off at only 50%.

Honestly, if I had not already had the 29 W charger and the appropriate Apple cable For my first generation iPad Pro (12.9 inch), I’m not sure if I would have decided that the fast charging set up is worth it for just iPhone X.

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
hey everyone,

Quick question:

The double beep is the sign it’s fast charging. If someone wrote that already im sorry. Check out the iphone X manual for confirmation

Anas.mahmood

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
[doublepost=1518062649][/doublepost]Hi i too have 29w original charger for X when i start charging from around below 20% it charges very fast but automatically disconnects at 81% no matter what i do tgen i have to reconnect and it continues slowly
Same issue
Did u slove it ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.