Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tatuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Hi,

Am I the only person to think that changing the home bar location based on orientation of the phone is a bad idea?

I believe that changing the position of the Home Bar based on the orientation of the phone should be optional, as by always changing the location from where I can close any app, I can't create a mental habit like I did with the Home Button, since the location of the Home Bar keeps changing. Having a consistent physical location from where I can access the home screen in my opinion will greatly improve the usability of the iPhone X.

Could Apple please at least add an option in Settings that allows users to have a fixed Home Bar always in the bottom of the iPhone screen where the Home button used to be?

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I think it’d be wrong to keep it in one location for many reasons. Mainly because it’s a gesture now and gestures should be located in the same place and format on the screen no matter the orientation so you should always swipe up for Home and swipe down from the top left for for notifications etc. gestures should not change based on orientation. And asking the Home bar to would be doing that. Plus it’d mess with other gestures like forward and back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.