Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
ok. So did a test with iPhone X driving in my car and tried using it just like I would my 6s plus. I put the phone in my windshield mount.

I found when using Maps with 6s plus the phone would automatically detect being in landscape mode and rotate. This doesn’t seem to currently be working on the X. Anyone else find this? I’m guessing Face ID doesn’t work on landscape mode?! Wondering how this can be fixed. Basically if the phone locks while in landscape mode you’re screwed?! Hope I don’t need to use my phone in portrait mode from now on. That would suck !

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Face ID in the real world wasn't thought through enough. Apple should of left Touch ID as backup. Passcode requires you to look at the screen which is not safe if you're driving. Even Siri will tell you to unlock you phone when making most request.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Face ID in the real world wasn't thought through enough. Apple should of left Touch ID as backup. Passcode requires you to look at the screen which is not safe if you're driving. Even Siri will tell you to unlock you phone when making most request.
TouchID shouldve remained on the phone IMO, however using a phone under any circumstances while driving is unsafe.

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
TouchID shouldve remained on the phone IMO, however using a phone under any circumstances while driving is unsafe.

Please... what’s the need for morality here? Think of all these touch screens in cars like Tesla and Volvo, what’s not unsafe with these? The major factor of unsafe driving is the driver, and we judge ourselves to be mature and responsible enough to deal with our phone in the car... This ain’t school here, we’re not 14 years old. Oh, by the way,... ever thought of nowadays traffic queues and having some peace of mind by not being irritated and bored? There are some advantages aplenty with a phone in landscape position in the car...

I still need, want and expect landscape mode to come on the X, or I will be very disappointed with Apple’s obnoxious irrelevant logic. Like itunes in landscape mode, that too would be a dream in the car ☝

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I totally agree with you... unfortunately we have to deal with the morons who though may be adults, act like they’re 14...this is a good point. All those new cars have touchscreens. There’s no difference. They will probably force us to buy iPhone X Plus to get the “magical landscape”..

Please... what’s the need for morality here? Think of all these touch screens in cars like Tesla and Volvo, what’s not unsafe with these? The major factor of unsafe driving is the driver, and we judge ourselves to be mature and responsible enough to deal with our phone in the car... This ain’t school here, we’re not 14 years old. Oh, by the way,... ever thought of nowadays traffic queues and having some peace of mind by not being irritated and bored? There are some advantages aplenty with a phone in landscape position in the car...

I still need, want and expect landscape mode to come on the X, or I will be very disappointed with Apple’s obnoxious irrelevant logic. Like itunes in landscape mode, that too would be a dream in the car ☝

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013

I agree with you 100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.