Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dencentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
I got an iPhone X through my carrier (Fido, Canada) Dec. 10 and immediately had problems with it as a phone: people complaining they can’t hear me clearly.

I tested the mic and it works A-OK with all other apps (including Voice Memo, Facetime). I sound clear to others in Phone feature when switched to speakerphone – only muffled in Phone app, and only when I switch off speakerphone.

I consulted Apple Support, diagnosed+reformatted the phone with an Apple Store Genius, deleting my backup and running only basic config and latest iOS 11.2.1, tried everything suggested by support, from checking mic for debris / case blockage, to resetting network settings, enabling/disabling LTE voice and background noise filter.

Over 2 weeks + dozens of hours troubleshooting. I finally convinced my carrier to exchange the phone as defective, but I’m having the same problem with Phone X #2.

Apple urgently needs to review the Phone feature app. It’s clearly a software problem + I see in forums online I’m not the only one, and it’s not restricted to the X – some users of the 8 are reporting the same issue.

Reactions: mihirspeaks

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Have a new 8. Having call issues where people can’t hear me and occasionally I can’t hear them. Frequent enough that this isn’t normal.

Reactions: psac and dencentral

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2017
I got an iPhone X through my carrier (Fido, Canada) Dec. 10 and immediately had problems with it as a phone: people complaining they can’t hear me clearly.

I tested the mic and it works A-OK with all other apps (including Voice Memo, Facetime). I sound clear to others in Phone feature when switched to speakerphone – only muffled in Phone app, and only when I switch off speakerphone.

I consulted Apple Support, diagnosed+reformatted the phone with an Apple Store Genius, deleting my backup and running only basic config and latest iOS 11.2.1, tried everything suggested by support, from checking mic for debris / case blockage, to resetting network settings, enabling/disabling LTE voice and background noise filter.

Over 2 weeks + dozens of hours troubleshooting. I finally convinced my carrier to exchange the phone as defective, but I’m having the same problem with Phone X #2.

Apple urgently needs to review the Phone feature app. It’s clearly a software problem + I see in forums online I’m not the only one, and it’s not restricted to the X – some users of the 8 are reporting the same issue.
I had the same issue on my iphone 7,later on it was replaced by apple and the replaced device didn’t had such issue.

gh2k

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
I know this sounds stupid but how are you holding it? Do you have any fingers near the camera area? I have found with all the newer iPhones if you have anything near that area it messes with the noise cancellation.

Try it, call someone and talk to them like normal then put your hand near or over the camera area and ask them if it sounds like you are in a tunnel. It happens if you have one of those fold over cases every time because it messes with the mic.

I know it is weird but it happens with people with hair over the area or if you are too close to something like the window in your car.

dencentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
You running a case? Which one?
The Apple iPhone X Leather Folio. Mic is open at bottom and mic works with all other apps with phone in case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 9.51.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 9.51.05 AM.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 762

betasp

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
There are issues with the folio case and the noise cancellation. Google it and you will find references to it.

SHARONVEAZEY

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2018
Slidell La

I'm having the same problems with the Iphone 6s Plus. i was looking on here to see if the problem is fixed yet. any ideas. i thinking about something besides the Iphone. Everyone asked me to repeat myself and say my voice is muffled.
[doublepost=1521219388][/doublepost]

I've tried everything with my IPhone 6s Plus. My voice has been muffled since i bought it and i was looking to see if there was still a problem the the IPhone since they came out the the X. It looks like there's still a problem. i brought it to the Apple store after i first got it and they swapped it with another phone. Same problem. i went to ATT and they tried and I still have the same problem. I've had an IPhone for so lone i don't know what kind of phone to get. I'm ready to give up. I love everything else about the phone. Too Bad i can't talk on it.

sussexjojo

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2018
Did you ever find a solution? I have battled with the same issue and replaced the phone as well. To me, it is a combination of hardware and software issue. I only get the problem in some (most) locations. At the Genius bar it works perfectly although the reception is a bit shaky (2-3 dots). At home I have 4 dots and I have yet to have had a successful phone call.

grgsiocl

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2015
I am facing the same issue too and it’s happening since iOS 9 for me. It’s software issue though.

sussexjojo

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2018
I am facing the same issue too and it’s happening since iOS 9 for me. It’s software issue though.

I think the power fed to the modem is depending on reception. And when the voltage is "perfect" it interferes with the bottom microphone. Noise cancellation makes the problem worse so I have turned that off. I think we would have seen a patch by now if Apple could actually solve this.

Feelio

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I have the same issue. I’ve recently found out that when I cover the microphone on the back of the phone (it’s the little hole beneath the flash of the camera) with my finger while calling, the problem is gone and people can finally hear me properly. Very weird. I’ll send my iPhone back for reparation.

JnPC

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2017

[doublepost=1540460911][/doublepost]There is no fix. I have had my phone since November of last year and haven’t been able to use it since. I can’t afford to buy a new phone and I won’t be able to change it until Nov 1st. It’s ridiculous. I’ve gotten 3 new phones from Apple. They can hear the problem (as I’ve called them from inside the Apple bar and they admit it’s an issue) but they have no idea how to fix it. It’s terrible. The new Apple update that tells you how much you have talked on your phone told me I only used it for 12 minutes this month. I hate it. How could I have a phone that I can’t talk on. No one can understand me. It’s outrageous. Worst part is I love everything about my X but how can you create a phone that people can’t hear you on. When I was in the store last time the couple across the way from me was having the same issue. I’ve done everything to solve the problem. Check the mic, LTE off, LTE on, new case, record myself (which oddly works fine), change the settings, reset the phone. Everything. Nothing works. I’m sorry for you.

Feelio

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
So, I’ve finally got my iPhone X replaced today. New phone has the same problem. I give up contacting Apple about this. Just keep using my finger to cover the microphone on the back while making a call.

JnPC

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2017
So, I’ve finally got my iPhone X replaced today. New phone has the same problem. I give up contacting Apple about this. Just keep using my finger to cover the microphone on the back while making a call.
So I just got the new XS hoping it would stop. It hasn’t. I’m going to return it and go to a droid. I had my X for a year. I haven’t been able to make phone calls at all. Apple replaced it 3x. This is ridiculous.

Sagegrouse

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2020
[doublepost=1540460911][/doublepost]
There is no fix. I have had my phone since November of last year and haven’t been able to use it since. I can’t afford to buy a new phone and I won’t be able to change it until Nov 1st. It’s ridiculous. I’ve gotten 3 new phones from Apple. They can hear the problem (as I’ve called them from inside the Apple bar and they admit it’s an issue) but they have no idea how to fix it. It’s terrible. The new Apple update that tells you how much you have talked on your phone told me I only used it for 12 minutes this month. I hate it. How could I have a phone that I can’t talk on. No one can understand me. It’s outrageous. Worst part is I love everything about my X but how can you create a phone that people can’t hear you on. When I was in the store last time the couple across the way from me was having the same issue. I’ve done everything to solve the problem. Check the mic, LTE off, LTE on, new case, record myself (which oddly works fine), change the settings, reset the phone. Everything. Nothing works. I’m sorry for you.
I have had the same issues. Phone works when it’s FaceTime or zoom and sounds fine

doesn’t work when it’s a regular phone call. Callers words will start repeating as if stuck in repeat mode. Phone will start clicking or the callers voice will slow down or speed up or simply drop out. Two resets, two new SIM cards, multiple trips to Apple, multiple cycling on an off,

doesn’t work with headphones, speaker phone, Bluetooth or whether I’m holding the phone or not

Apple wants me to buy a replacement as even though I’m paying on it still after owning now for 15 months, I’m out of warranty because it’s beyond one year

this started before the warranty
But because it’s intermittent, I didn’t realize it was the phone and not just being in a bad location. It has also gotten worse as time has gone
On.
I really feel it’s so something with the phone hardware or a perhaps software because everything else works on the phone. And the phone works great with zoom and facetime Both audio and visual.
Thoughts?

sherriking

Suspended
May 19, 2020
I have had the same issues. Phone works when it’s FaceTime or zoom and sounds fine

doesn’t work when it’s a regular phone call. Callers words will start repeating as if stuck in repeat mode. Phone will start clicking or the callers voice will slow down or speed up or simply drop out. Two resets, two new SIM cards, multiple trips to Apple, multiple cycling on an off,

doesn’t work with headphones, speaker phone, Bluetooth or whether I’m holding the phone or not

Apple wants me to buy a replacement as even though I’m paying on it still after owning now for 15 months, I’m out of warranty because it’s beyond one year

this started before the warranty
But because it’s intermittent, I didn’t realize it was the phone and not just being in a bad location. It has also gotten worse as time has gone
On.
I really feel it’s so something with the phone hardware or a perhaps software because everything else works on the phone. And the phone works great with zoom and facetime Both audio and visual.
Thoughts?
I’ve recently found out that when I cover the microphone on the back of the phone (it’s the little hole beneath the flash of the camera) with my finger while calling, the problem is gone and people can finally hear me properly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.