Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
My 3D-touch is a mess on my X since updating to iOS 13 (and now 13.1). The lightest press on the Mail app for example often opens the context menu rather then the app itself. This happens on multiple apps, wherever on the screen they are placed.
I've messed with the sensitivity settings, also the touch duration settings (which as I understand it relates to Press and Hold, not really 3D-touch anyway).

I know that Apple have ditched the hardware for 3D-touch from the iPhone 11 onwards but shouldn’t the previous phones still be able to use the feature under iOS 13? Or is that feature dead now whatever phone you’re using under iOS 13? Should I just turn off 3D-touch? I’m reasonably happy to use Press and Hold in its place but it’s rather slow to react in comparison, even on the fastest setting.

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
That’s weird. The Haptic Touch on my iPhone X works similar to the axed 3D Touch.

Just tested the Mail App & even with the 3D Touch sensitivity set to Light, I can avoid bringing up the contextual menu.

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
That’s weird. The Haptic Touch on my iPhone X works similar to the axed 3D Touch.

Just tested the Mail App & even with the 3D Touch sensitivity set to Light, I can avoid bringing up the contextual menu.
Thanks for the reply.

The other significant thing (which I didn’t initially disclose as I wanted to hear from other X owners first) is that the screen was replaced last week through an insurance claim via a major UK firm (who’s repairers I would hope to God are Apple-approved). I only had a couple of days with it repaired before I updated to iOS 13 but I’m sure 3D-touch was working fine with its new screen.
Now of course I don’t know if it’s iOS 13 or the screen playing up.

To clarify, Haptic Touch works fine for me, just not as quick as 3D-touch did.

Can I confirm that you are on iOS 13 also?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

The other significant thing (which I didn’t initially disclose as I wanted to hear from other X owners first) is that the screen was replaced last week through an insurance claim via a major UK firm (who’s repairers I would hope to God are Apple-approved). I only had a couple of days with it repaired before I updated to iOS 13 but I’m sure 3D-touch was working fine with its new screen.
Now of course I don’t know if it’s iOS 13 or the screen playing up.

To clarify, Haptic Touch works fine for me, just not as quick as 3D-touch did.

Can I confirm that you are on iOS 13 also?

With insurance repairs, 99% of the time their parts are not official Apple parts or approved for the iPhone.

I have never heard of an insurance company using an official part from Apple but I said 99% because maybe there are some that do.

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
With insurance repairs, 99% of the time their parts are not official Apple parts or approved for the iPhone.

I have never heard of an insurance company using an official part from Apple but I said 99% because maybe there are some that do.
Really? Wow - I’ve never heard this. Not doubting you but what’s your source for this?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
The other significant thing (which I didn’t initially disclose as I wanted to hear from other X owners first) is that the screen was replaced last week through an insurance claim via a major UK firm

I suspect this repair with non-genuine Apple parts is the cause of your 3D touch issues.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Really? Wow - I’ve never heard this. Not doubting you but what’s your source for this?

I personally used to pitch and sell Asurion insurance to customers. I would then have people come back telling me their replacement is worse than their original. Come to find out they put piss poor quality parts in them. Had an iPhone power on and then shut down because it wasn’t an official battery. Whether the battery was faulty or iOS wasn’t accepting it, not sure which but when I opened it up, that’s what I discovered. Then an S6 with a screen that didn’t respond to touch half the time but the original one did. I’ve run into a few issues with Asurion and I am not a fan of them whatsoever. Somewhere on Reddit I saw an iPhone XS with a glass back that stated the device was “remanufactured” by Asurion. It was ugly and you couldn’t remove it. Since then, I myself have never signed up for carrier device insurance and at that time and I stopped pitching it to customers. Boss man didn’t like it but oh well. I ended up leaving after awhile because of that and a few other things.

I’m not sure if they have changed their ways since then but that’s my own experience. Anyone feel free to provide their opinions and experiences.

A post on Reddit to backup my claim on crappy screens:
dbf13e0f03a14e113f2ee9b9df30e777.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.