Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charles H. Herrera

Cancelled
Original poster
May 31, 2022
Hi,

Currently, I’m experiencing overheating on my iPhone X. Despite this iPhone being a couple of years old, it’s in good working condition. This overheating issue occurs at the back cover to where the camera is located. In order to fix this issue, I have tried to format my iPhone and limit applications that have very high power usage (ex: YouTube, Google Maps, DuckDuckGo, etc). After a certain period of time, I’ve noticed that there has been a slight improvement. However, I checked my battery health and it’s at 88% percent. More importantly, my internal storage is at 15GB out of 64GB being used. Therefore, I don’t think the issue could be related to the battery nor internal storage. The iPhone X is running on the latest iOS operating system 15.5. From my perspective, this overheating issue is more noticable when using applications such as DuckDuckGo, YouTube, Google Maps and so on. In addition to this, my bluetooth is enabled in order to connect to my Apple Watch SE.

Majority of the time, I have noticed that the overheating issue becomes worse when using the internet. Once this occurs, I have noticed my battery drain too.

At this point, I’m very reluctant to buy a new iPhone as this one was very expensive when it was released. I’m very disappointed that it’s not running as smooth as it used to even though the CPU is an A11 bionic chip.

I can’t seem to figure out what the issue could be? Could it be that it’s just due to these iOS 15 updates and that it’s becoming outdated?

Do you own an iPhone X? If so, are you experiencing these issues?

Any advice?

Thanks.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I installed iOS 15.5 on a iPhone 8 yesterday and it got hot too. I think the processor is working overtime in the background doing indexing & stuff.
Give it a week to settle down then reassess.
Also if the ambient temperature is warm - the phone will run hotter than it did on cooler days.

Reactions: Charles H. Herrera

Charles H. Herrera

Cancelled
Original poster
May 31, 2022
I installed iOS 15.5 on a iPhone 8 yesterday and it got hot too. I think the processor is working overtime in the background doing indexing & stuff.
Give it a week to settle down then reassess.
Also if the ambient temperature is warm - the phone will run hotter than it did on cooler days.
Thanks for the advice!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, it just feels hot, and you don't actually get any notification on the screen that your iPhone is close to overheating? Nothing other than it feels hot? Your iPhone does actually take care of itself, and will clock down, or even shut off when there is actual overheating.
I think it is OK if you feel heat on the outside of the case, as the heat is getting out. Worse would be some cases that tend to hold the heat in. If you don't get actual notification of overheating, then you will be fine, and so will your iPhone.

Charles H. Herrera

Cancelled
Original poster
May 31, 2022
So, it just feels hot, and you don't actually get any notification on the screen that your iPhone is close to overheating? Nothing other than it feels hot? Your iPhone does actually take care of itself, and will clock down, or even shut off when there is actual overheating.
I think it is OK if you feel heat on the outside of the case, as the heat is getting out. Worse would be some cases that tend to hold the heat in. If you don't get actual notification of overheating, then you will be fine, and so will your iPhone.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have a thick UAG protection case on it. It wasn't a concern before. To this date, I haven't received any notification on my iPhone that it needs to shut down due to overheating. In my opinion, it could be related to the iOS updates. Do you think that a battery replacement at 88% can fix this?

hello(again)

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Aurora, CO
I finally gave up on my beloved X for this exact reason. I tried everything. Multiple factory resets, minimal content on the ssd, turning off location based features, etc. Absolutely nothing ended up helping and I traded it in for a 13 Pro which I love. I think the modern iOS demands om the processor on a double stacked logic board create a thermal problem that just can’t be solved.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

Currently, I’m experiencing overheating on my iPhone X. Despite this iPhone being a couple of years old, it’s in good working condition. This overheating issue occurs at the back cover to where the camera is located. In order to fix this issue, I have tried to format my iPhone and limit applications that have very high power usage (ex: YouTube, Google Maps, DuckDuckGo, etc). After a certain period of time, I’ve noticed that there has been a slight improvement. However, I checked my battery health and it’s at 88% percent. More importantly, my internal storage is at 15GB out of 64GB being used. Therefore, I don’t think the issue could be related to the battery nor internal storage. The iPhone X is running on the latest iOS operating system 15.5. From my perspective, this overheating issue is more noticable when using applications such as DuckDuckGo, YouTube, Google Maps and so on. In addition to this, my bluetooth is enabled in order to connect to my Apple Watch SE.

Majority of the time, I have noticed that the overheating issue becomes worse when using the internet. Once this occurs, I have noticed my battery drain too.

At this point, I’m very reluctant to buy a new iPhone as this one was very expensive when it was released. I’m very disappointed that it’s not running as smooth as it used to even though the CPU is an A11 bionic chip.

I can’t seem to figure out what the issue could be? Could it be that it’s just due to these iOS 15 updates and that it’s becoming outdated?

Do you own an iPhone X? If so, are you experiencing these issues?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Wondering if you are getting good wifi and LTE signal, if not, that could be one of the possible reasons.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I finally gave up on my beloved X for this exact reason. I tried everything. Multiple factory resets, minimal content on the ssd, turning off location based features, etc. Absolutely nothing ended up helping and I traded it in for a 13 Pro which I love. I think the modern iOS demands om the processor on a double stacked logic board create a thermal problem that just can’t be solved.
13 Pro has a stacked logic board too.. My X is running 15.5 doesn't get hot at all. Your X must of had a hardware issue as quite a few forum members are using the X on the latest version of iOS with no problems.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
could be a sign of battery failure.

I had an iPhone 5s that started to get real hot. then the battery died completely.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If your phone is always hot when running certain apps, your battery life should be noticeably lower than before. There could be some rogue app in the background but I doubt it. It’s nothing to worry about… try playing a demanding game with good graphics such as Genshin Impact and see what happens. If it can handle something like that without overheating and shutting off, you won’t have a problem.

Dnzilla

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
X here too, never an issue…

Maybe some bad app running in background.. vote restore and start from scratch with no downloaded apps and see how it goes?

Charles H. Herrera

Cancelled
Original poster
May 31, 2022
Yes, I agree with you. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: hello(again)

Dnzilla

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
X here too, never an issue…

Maybe some bad app running in background.. vote restore and start from scratch with no downloaded apps and see how it goes?
Retract my statement

Crazy hot at times when not on wifi and switching windows /muktitask

It is old tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.