Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KosterR

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
I have an iPhone X and has been replace twice already. The main problem is the touch screen not working, I tap on the corners to close a window and is not working.

Now, the face ID is not working, I have to use my 4 digit passcode. There is no way to record my face again, it sends me a message.

The iPhone never drops, is in an enclosure, not a single scratch, it has the latest OS. But I can tell all this problems are like mena to be, they are software related, no hardware.

It seems like Apple wants me to give up and buy anew model I do not need. I do not know what to do.

Reactions: Ram65

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I tap on the corners to close a window and is not working.
Yeah. This is weird. What in the world are you talking about? iPhones don't have windows, so there are no window controls in the corners, like on Macs and PCs.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If you expect to close an app by tapping in a corner in iOS, boy are you in for a surprise.
They could mean something like this:

Attachments

• 262D1AD3-EF47-4D33-AAFA-5C6AA8494117.jpeg
    262D1AD3-EF47-4D33-AAFA-5C6AA8494117.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 104

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have an X that is 4+yrs old and it works amazing well on iOS15.. No issues like you are describing whatsoever. I had the battery replaced last November and the phone works so well I put off upgrading to a 13 ProMax.. It's been the longest used most reliable iPhone I've ever owned

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Day one iPhone X here and it lasts all day on the original battery. And the origina screen is still like new. I haven’t upgraded yet because the new iPhones don‘t do anything special and still use lightning to charge Until Apple get their act together, I am sure that my iPhone X will continue to serve me.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Or you just get faulty units like I did. I really don’t see the reason why Apple would program their old phones to not operate fully. Also, keep in mind, if it was software, it would be a catastrophic hit for Apple if the code was ever released.
That’s why I trust Apple more than any other big tech brand, they can’t afford being caught cheating like this. Never.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Day one iPhone X here and it lasts all day on the original battery. And the origina screen is still like new. I haven’t upgraded yet because the new iPhones don‘t do anything special and still use lightning to charge Until Apple get their act together, I am sure that my iPhone X will continue to serve me.
Are you on iOS 15?

PossibleTurco

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2022
iPhone X series is Apple's special series. Apple does not easily wear out such a special device for itself. Because they are a commercial company (it has to make money after all) and because of the hardware, they may not bring some features to the iPhone X, but that still doesn't change the fact that the iPhone X is a special device.

iOS 15 generally caused problems on most devices of the iPhone 11 series and earlier. We see these problems at the beginning of almost every iOS version. I think most of them will be fixed with iOS 15.4. I'm currently using an iPhone X with iOS 15.3.1. The device mostly works flawlessly. Sometimes animations stutter but this is related to iOS 15. Early versions of iOS 15 hung terribly. Most of the problems are fixed with iOS 15.3. I hope we have a completely flawless iOS experience with iOS 15.4.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
iPhone X series is Apple's special series. Apple does not easily wear out such a special device for itself. Because they are a commercial company (it has to make money after all) and because of the hardware, they may not bring some features to the iPhone X, but that still doesn't change the fact that the iPhone X is a special device.

iOS 15 generally caused problems on most devices of the iPhone 11 series and earlier. We see these problems at the beginning of almost every iOS version. I think most of them will be fixed with iOS 15.4. I'm currently using an iPhone X with iOS 15.3.1. The device mostly works flawlessly. Sometimes animations stutter but this is related to iOS 15. Early versions of iOS 15 hung terribly. Most of the problems are fixed with iOS 15.3. I hope we have a completely flawless iOS experience with iOS 15.4.

Other than being marketed as something special it’s just like every other flagship iPhone. To assume it received some special care is a myth in my opinion. Just like the 8 whose platform it shares, it’s a relatively capable device.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Exactly why I am still on a XS, 500+ cycles with 90% health and phone is still smooth on 15.3. Ive kept a glass on it and apples leather case and the phone is near mint.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002

I ‘ve been running dev betas since iOS 14. Zero issues with any of the iOS 15 iterations on my 11 Pro Max (or whatever it’s called-I’d have to check).

Reactions: E.Lizardo

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
Glad I saw this thread. Have screen issues that became worse in the last couple months. Tapping a X away in the top right of the screen is challenging (maybe my clunky finger IDK) and since last month my screen (mostly the Lock Screen) completely freezes up. You see the faceID lock unlocking, but can’t swipe up, can’t acces the camera, etc. Usually the second try works, but often it is completely frozen. Made an appointment today at the Genius Bar to see if the module is the culprit or there is more going on. Love the phone, had the battery replaced a couple months ago, so would like to get a bit more life out of the phone.

KosterR

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
It is not only the touchscreen in the corners.
When I want to open a video in Photos and I want to close it, the corners does not work nor pulling the video from the center down. I need to try several times.

And now, face ID does not work and I can not reconfigure it. I can not take another scan of my face, is not letting me. Specially after the last update I think.

Apple is rendering my phone useless.

KosterR

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2022
Glad I saw this thread. Have screen issues that became worse in the last couple months. Tapping a X away in the top right of the screen is challenging (maybe my clunky finger IDK) and since last month my screen (mostly the Lock Screen) completely freezes up. You see the faceID lock unlocking, but can’t swipe up, can’t acces the camera, etc. Usually the second try works, but often it is completely frozen. Made an appointment today at the Genius Bar to see if the module is the culprit or there is more going on. Love the phone, had the battery replaced a couple months ago, so would like to get a bit more life out of the phone.

It is not the Phone. I have ATT&T insurance, this is my third or forth phone of the same model and since the second one I started to have this issue. Now, since about 3 to 5 months ago it is just getting worse and the Face ID is not working and I can not reset it at all. It is not scanning my face. It stopped working since the last update two weeks ago.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I have an iPhone X and has been replace twice already. The main problem is the touch screen not working, I tap on the corners to close a window and is not working.

Now, the face ID is not working, I have to use my 4 digit passcode. There is no way to record my face again, it sends me a message.

The iPhone never drops, is in an enclosure, not a single scratch, it has the latest OS. But I can tell all this problems are like mena to be, they are software related, no hardware.

It seems like Apple wants me to give up and buy anew model I do not need. I do not know what to do.
It’s time to upgrade. Treat yourself to the iPhone 13

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
So, yesterday went to see a Genius at the Apple bar. Did the various tests, nothing to be found hardware wise, so said it was a software issue. Recommended to do a full erase and setup as new phone. Quite the hassle, but went along. ’My’ problem is still there after the fresh new start. When reinstalling apps and set them up, the worst offender was actually Mario run. Screen would lock up during the run while tapping on the screen. Even though apps are sandboxed, deleted the app. My kids will have to play a different app if they need to. Hopefully I can hold on till iPhone 14 comes out, iPhone SE probably won’t be it. Can always fall back to my 6S if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.