Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I wonder if 3gb RAM will be good enough long term? Could we see a X+ with 4gb RAM or 6gb RAM be a dividing bridge in 2018?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wonder if 3gb RAM will be good enough long term? Could we see a X+ with 4gb RAM or 6gb RAM be a dividing bridge in 2018?
Probably not, just look at how ram requirements have already increased

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Probably not, just look at how ram requirements have already increased

Increased for mobile phones in general or by Apple? I want to use my X as long as possible because it will be expensive upgrading yearly, especially since I buy phones outright. I might join the upgrade to last year model club starting 2019.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Increased for mobile phones in general or by Apple?
Neither, its just part of the advancement of technology.
I started working on a computer that had 4k of ram and I had to write assembler to fit my code in. Look at computers now, people are complaining that Apple laptops cannot use 32GB. Why would smart phones be any different?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Neither, its just part of the advancement of technology.
I started working on a computer that had 4k of ram and I had to write assembler to fit my code in. Look at computers now, people are complaining that Apple laptops cannot use 32GB. Why would smart phones be any different?

Oh, I am just looking at an iOS 12 and iOS 13 perspective because 2GB ram was a huge improvement over the 1gb the 6+ and older devices offered, especially with tab browser refreshes or iPads having split-screen multi-tasking. More is better, but I don't want to spend $1000 for the next phone to have just an extra GB RAM and a ton of software features not being accessible to X owners.

I expect the X successor to have the same screen size/resolution, same RAM quantity, better cameras, bigger battery, FaceID 2.0, A12 processor, higher screen brightness, improved minor internals, but the concept to stay consistent with the X.

The X was a big enough upgrade for me because I had a rough experience with the Note 8 and this phone is the closest thing Apple has to the Note 8. I was on the iPhone SE before and borrowed a 7+ during that time.

Redesigned body, quick charge, wireless charging, FaceID, OLED screen, slim profile, and the other features were sufficient enough for me to justify upgrading this go around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.