Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Hello,

I have an iPhone X and recently I've had some problems with the touch that prevents me from normal and proper use. I read that Apple is offering to fix an annoying iPhone X screen problem for free. I shipped the device to a lab in Israel that called iDigital (which is Apple Premium Resellers) and unfortunately I got the impression that they were trying to shirk responsibility. The support service requires me to pay 1,800 NIS for the repair, which is grossly overpriced and I have no financial ability to pay it. The problem started to appear as a bolt out of the blue. I'm using a UAG case that produces the most rugged cases.

I'm very disappointed, and I'm considering whether I should buy an original screen or non-original screen.
My current iPhone’s display is free from scratches and nicks.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If there are no Apple Stores in your region, have you calling Apple to discuss a mail-in repair?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
You “heard”? You didn’t confirm this with Apple? And then you sent it to some other company for repair? Did they represent that they would do the fix for free as Apple‘s agent?

i can’t imagine that there is even such a thing as a “non original screen”.

did you get your phone back?

sounds like you may have fallen for some scam.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
They said verbatim "I read that Apple is offering to fix..."

I stand corrected!

But while we are picking nits - the page you linked to does offer the choice of contacting an Apple-authorized service center. In fact it’s the first choice. Followed by take to an Apple Store, or contact Apple for mail-in.

And provides a link. the link just opens the Apple Support app, and starts to lead you through selecting the device, obtaining your location, etc.

The countries drop-down does not work for me on my iPad, though. I select Israel, the drop down choice changes to Albania, and the page cont3nt does not change.

is OP in fact in Israel? Or sent it there from another country?

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
I stand corrected!

But while we are picking nits - the page you linked to does offer the choice of contacting an Apple-authorized service center. In fact it’s the first choice. Followed by take to an Apple Store, or contact Apple for mail-in.

And provides a link. the link just opens the Apple Support app, and starts to lead you through selecting the device, obtaining your location, etc.

The countries drop-down does not work for me on my iPad, though. I select Israel, the drop down choice changes to Albania, and the page cont3nt does not change.

is OP in fact in Israel? Or sent it there from another country?

I live in Israel.
I got this message when I'm trying to find a local Apple Authorized Service Provider on "Bring in for Repair" page:

1582780939542.png

What can I do?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hello,

I have an iPhone X and recently I've had some problems with the touch that prevents me from normal and proper use. I read that Apple is offering to fix an annoying iPhone X screen problem for free. I shipped the device to a lab in Israel that called iDigital (which is Apple Premium Resellers) and unfortunately I got the impression that they were trying to shirk responsibility. The support service requires me to pay 1,800 NIS for the repair, which is grossly overpriced and I have no financial ability to pay it. The problem started to appear as a bolt out of the blue. I'm using a UAG case that produces the most rugged cases.

I'm very disappointed, and I'm considering whether I should buy an original screen or non-original screen.
My current iPhone’s display is free from scratches and nicks.
Unfortunately, those non-Apple service centers are free to charge whatever amount they deem necessary for repairs, sometimes additional on top of whatever Apple officially posted on their site.

First, make sure you are really dealing with an authorized service center. Premium resellers sometimes don't equate to service center providers (there are places who are just resellers, and don't provide any repair services). I would try starting a chat with Apple first. Describe the problem to them, and also describe the problem you had with the authorized service center. Apple can override whatever decision an authorized service center had, if required. I have had an authorize service center denied battery replacement on my Macbook simply because there's a small dent. I contacted Apple via chat, and they put a note on my file to override that decision, forcing the service center to accept the Macbook for battery replacement. YMMV though.

Another option, if possible, is to have your phone repaired in a country with an actual Apple store when you're traveling.

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
I contacted Apple and they told me to send my iPhone to a lab that is called DCS Computers which is an authorized service provider. They replaced the screen to a new one and now everything is fine. Thank you for your help and for Apple's kind response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.