Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaklap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2017
The past two days after I’ve woken up, I’ve been prompted for my passcode instead of faceID, with a message saying my passcode is required after a restart.

Is anyone else getting this with their iPhone X, or is mine mysteriously restarting overnight?

Noticed that my AutoSleep on my watch was also acting funky, as if the phone had been restarted, so it definitely seems like it rebooted sometime in the middle of the night.

Jaklap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2017
Did it update to 11.1 during the night?
Nah, I updated it to 11.1 as soon as I got it so I could restore from backup. It's been two nights in a row now as well.

Thinking about just setting up as new and iCloud syncing stuff over.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
By default after XX amount of time they require pin code I believe and then fingerprint or Face ID re activate.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
By default after XX amount of time they require pin code I believe and then fingerprint or Face ID re activate.

No, in his case the amount of time hasnt expired.
The phone just reboots on its on.

Thepasscode is required instead of Touch ID under the following circumstances:

• The device has just been turned on or restarted
  • The device has not been unlocked for more than 48 hours
  • The passcode has not been used to unlock the device in the last six days and TouchID has not unlocked the device in the last eight hours
  • The device has received a remote lock command
  • After five unsuccessful attempts to match a fingerprint
  • When setting up or enrolling new fingers with Touch ID

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
OMG exactly the same here! I’ve been getting this prompt the last 3 mornings.

I pick up the phone from the nightstand where it’s been charging and it asks me for a passcode instead of letting me unlock with Face ID.

Does anyone know why or how to investigate/fix it?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've not had this issue with my X yet, but yesterday when switching my AirPods from my iPad Pro to my X, the X crashed are rebooted. Not a simple respring.

Jaklap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2017
I reset the phone and set it up as new, iCloud synced everything over. It was a 30 min process, and I haven't had the issue since.

I still have a feeling the "lights off" timer of AutoSleep on my Apple Watch may have been a culprit. But I guess I'll never know...

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I reset the phone and set it up as new, iCloud synced everything over. It was a 30 min process, and I haven't had the issue since.

I still have a feeling the "lights off" timer of AutoSleep on my Apple Watch may have been a culprit. But I guess I'll never know...

How many apps do you have? I have like 20GB of apps and that would take forever to download again...

Pips333

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Hey,

Yes I've had this issue too !

Im rather 'old school' and still use a PIN to unlock my iphone.

It will reboot itself about 2-3 times a day with no pattern that I can discern.

So, I will pick up my phone and then get the timer thing going round for a few seconds while it starts up, then it asks me for my PIN, then it starts up properly and I have to input the PIN again.

The worrying thing is that I'm on my second phone now and still happening. Therefore I assumed it to be some software issue but after multiple rests and full factory reset its the same.

Im on EE in the UK and just come off the phone to them and apparently my phone is showing as faulty in their diagnostics and they are sending me out a 3rd one !!

Quite unbelievable that I get 2 new phones with this same problem.

Apart from this I absolutely love this phone; really blown away especially the battery life coming from 6s.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Hey,

Yes I've had this issue too !

Im rather 'old school' and still use a PIN to unlock my iphone.

It will reboot itself about 2-3 times a day with no pattern that I can discern.

So, I will pick up my phone and then get the timer thing going round for a few seconds while it starts up, then it asks me for my PIN, then it starts up properly and I have to input the PIN again.

The worrying thing is that I'm on my second phone now and still happening. Therefore I assumed it to be some software issue but after multiple rests and full factory reset its the same.

Im on EE in the UK and just come off the phone to them and apparently my phone is showing as faulty in their diagnostics and they are sending me out a 3rd one !!

Quite unbelievable that I get 2 new phones with this same problem.

Apart from this I absolutely love this phone; really blown away especially the battery life coming from 6s.

Are you setting up as new phone each time or using the same backup to restore to all the replacements that come in?

Pips333

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Are you setting up as new phone each time or using the same backup to restore to all the replacements that come in?

Well therein lies a problem in that I'm using the same backup.

I have a lot of valuable data I want on my phone and as yet I haven't got round to buying or using a 3rd party app to allow me to selectively load data back on.

Having said that the same back up has worked perfectly fine in my old 6s, and EE confirm that my phone is showing a fault on their remote diagnostics. Im not sure how they are able to ascertain this in all honesty but who am I to argue !

In the event that this 3rd phone does the same thing then I think it would be clear that its possibly something in the backup and I guess I'd have to try it as a brand new phone a few days and see how that goes....

I shall post again with an update over the next few days ....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Well therein lies a problem in that I'm using the same backup.

I have a lot of valuable data I want on my phone and as yet I haven't got round to buying or using a 3rd party app to allow me to selectively load data back on.

Having said that the same back up has worked perfectly fine in my old 6s, and EE confirm that my phone is showing a fault on their remote diagnostics. Im not sure how they are able to ascertain this in all honesty but who am I to argue !

In the event that this 3rd phone does the same thing then I think it would be clear that its possibly something in the backup and I guess I'd have to try it as a brand new phone a few days and see how that goes....

I shall post again with an update over the next few days ....

That explains it then.
People keep using the same faulty and buggie backup file and continue to have software issues.
And keep replacing the hardware and inheriting/transferring the same problems back to the replacement:D

Pips333

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
That explains it then.
People keep using the same faulty and buggie backup file and continue to have software issues.
And keep replacing the hardware and inheriting/transferring the same problems back to the replacement:D

Well, I'm not so sure. It worked fine on my 6s...

From my own extensive research, this rebooting can also be attributed to a faulty battery where it's not putting out the correct current, although this usually happens with, but not limited to, 3rd party replacement batteries.

In any event I shall pin it down one way or another by process of elimination; I'm very curious to get to the bottom of this !

I shall report back :)

PS What's the easiest way to load only my contacts back on once I've done a full reset ?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I always hear the buggy backup argument but where do these buggy backups come from and how are they even created? I’m not sure I believe in the buggy backups theory.

They are real and the first thing Apple reps tell you to do before they replace the hardware.
If you don't believe software can have bugs and conflicts then you should take a few computer courses to learn the basics.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
They are real and the first thing Apple reps tell you to do before they replace the hardware.
If you don't believe software can have bugs and conflicts then you should take a few computer courses to learn the basics.

Lol ok I’ll go take those basic computer courses. Thank you oh wise one. Did your basic courses teach you that bugs are stored and in backups on iOS?

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Well, I'm not so sure. It worked fine on my 6s...

From my own extensive research, this rebooting can also be attributed to a faulty battery where it's not putting out the correct current, although this usually happens with, but not limited to, 3rd party replacement batteries.

In any event I shall pin it down one way or another by process of elimination; I'm very curious to get to the bottom of this !

I shall report back :)

PS What's the easiest way to load only my contacts back on once I've done a full reset ?

Use iCloud to transfer your contacts back.
Use your phone without the faulty backup for a few days and you'll be able to see if it does the same or not. My educated guess is that you won't see that happen again if you setup as new phone. But Apple should have told you to do that before allowing multiple replacements.
That's their protocol and it's done for a reason;)

Pips333

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Use iCloud to transfer your contacts back.
Use your phone without the faulty backup for a few days and you'll be able to see if it does the same or not. My educated guess is that you won't see that happen again if you setup as new phone. But Apple should have told you to do that before allowing multiple replacements.
That's their protocol and it's done for a reason;)

Hey buddy,

thanks for that !

Ok this is weird.

I actually called Apple about this yesterday; they did a remote diagnostic test and the phone came back as good, no surprise really.

So, I took the plunge and restored the phone as new. I then proceeded to download my saved contacts and a few more important apps.

So, I really thought I'd cracked it but just now picked up the phone and there's there revolving gear and phone rebooting up again :-((

Sigh.... really cannot understand this. It all points to a software issue yet even after a full reset as new its still happening...

I guess that I should reset again and add each app on one by one and wait a few days for each one to see if its an app issue; but what a royal pain in the butt to have to do that :-(

I still have a 3rd replacement phone that I delayed delivery till Monday, so I shall try that and see , but how unlucky to get two faulty phones? Very unlikely and yet ....

Anyone else had any luck?

NB After speaking to a senior Apple tech adviser they’ve asked for my diagnostic files to look at, and they will let me know what they find ......

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Hey buddy,

thanks for that !

Ok this is weird.

I actually called Apple about this yesterday; they did a remote diagnostic test and the phone came back as good, no surprise really.

So, I took the plunge and restored the phone as new. I then proceeded to download my saved contacts and a few more important apps.

So, I really thought I'd cracked it but just now picked up the phone and there's there revolving gear and phone rebooting up again :-((

Sigh.... really cannot understand this. It all points to a software issue yet even after a full reset as new its still happening...

I guess that I should reset again and add each app on one by one and wait a few days for each one to see if its an app issue; but what a royal pain in the butt to have to do that :-(

I still have a 3rd replacement phone that I delayed delivery till Monday, so I shall try that and see , but how unlucky to get two faulty phones? Very unlikely and yet ....

Anyone else had any luck?

NB After speaking to a senior Apple tech adviser they’ve asked for my diagnostic files to look at, and they will let me know what they find ......

How did you download your contacts and important apps?
You didnt restore from backup again did you?

Pips333

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
How did you download your contacts and important apps?
You didnt restore from backup again did you?

Hey,

Thx for replying.

Nono I did a full restore and set up as a new phone.

My contacts were saved to iCloud so they synced automatically.

My favourite and needed apps were reloaded as new straight from the app store.

Nothing else was loaded to the phone other than those stated above.

Cheers :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Hey,

Thx for replying.

Nono I did a full restore and set up as a new phone.

My contacts were saved to iCloud so they synced automatically.

My favourite and needed apps were reloaded as new straight from the app store.

Nothing else was loaded to the phone other than those stated above.

Cheers :)

Yes, sounds like you'll need a new phone again if it keeps rebooting like that then.
Sucks having to go through that multiple times.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Setup as a new phone but don’t install any apps. Use like that for a few days and if it reboots then phone is defective. If it doesn’t then start installing your apps, and find out which one is bad.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.