Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
So I’ve been having trouble with charging and a green line down my iPhone X and now today after doing research I looked closely and I’m realizing that the screen is lifting off the front. When I talked to Apple on chat they told me to immediately turn it off and that the battery was swelling. They made me an appointment at Best Buy for tomorrow since the Apple stores are all closed around here. They are telling me that because it is out of warranty I will probably be needing to purchase a whole new phone. I asked them about the $69 battery fee and the agent said he wasn’t sure and that was up to the discretion of Best Buy. Does anyone have experience with this?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You'll have to see what BestBuy says.. Some have had the phone replaced/repaired for $69 other have not had luck. I personally would send it to Apple directly before I'd take it to BestBuy. Apple will be more sympathetic, BestBuy most likely won't touch it.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Yeah I think I will send it to Apple because the people at Best Buy Told me it would be $49 for just the battery but there’s a chance that I would lose my phone completely if they have to “throw it in a bucket of sand”.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Several years ago I had an iPhone 5 that had a swollen battery that was pushing up the screen. I took it to an independent iPhone repair shop and the tech replaced the battery and refitted the screen. Fit perfectly flat afterwards. I still have that phone and it's fine.

Apple salesmen will always push a customer to buy a new iPhone instead of fixing an old one. Find out what the repair will cost and ignore the warnings they give you. They want to sell phones, not fix them

parker5011

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018
So I’ve been having trouble with charging and a green line down my iPhone X and now today after doing research I looked closely and I’m realizing that the screen is lifting off the front. When I talked to Apple on chat they told me to immediately turn it off and that the battery was swelling. They made me an appointment at Best Buy for tomorrow since the Apple stores are all closed around here. They are telling me that because it is out of warranty I will probably be needing to purchase a whole new phone. I asked them about the $69 battery fee and the agent said he wasn’t sure and that was up to the discretion of Best Buy. Does anyone have experience with this?

Had the exact same thing happened to my iPhone X and they told me it was close to $300 to replace it because it was out of warranty

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Well it looks like I’m going to Best Buy after all tomorrow. Apparently the turnaround through Apple is lengthy right now. I will update what happens.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well it looks like I’m going to Best Buy after all tomorrow. Apparently the turnaround through Apple is lengthy right now. I will update what happens.

Personally, I don’t trust Best Buy/Geeksquad, regardless if they are Apple certified as an ‘Official’ vendor. But with the store closures across the country/world, you are correct, they do have heavy delays.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Well that was a complete waste. I drove an hour to our closest Best Buy and they took one look at it and said because it appeared to have a swollen battery, they can’t touch it and directed me to ship it in to Apple.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well that was a complete waste. I drove an hour to our closest Best Buy and they took one look at it and said because it appeared to have a swollen battery, they can’t touch it and directed me to ship it in to Apple.
I can probably explain why. I have had an iPhone 5 replaced twice for the same issue - battery swelling. It is possible when replacing a battery that it can be punctured. With ordinary dead batteries this isn't an issue. But with swelling batteries, it's an explosion/fire hazard.

Apple has a special facility with special tools and specially trained techs that they ship devices with swelling batteries to. Best Buy is not so equipped.

Apple simply replaces devices because of all of the above.

What you should demand though, if they do not give it to you, is that you are only charged the cost of the battery replacement. Both times my iPhone 5 was replaced that is all I was charged.
[automerge]1596042827[/automerge]
Several years ago I had an iPhone 5 that had a swollen battery that was pushing up the screen. I took it to an independent iPhone repair shop and the tech replaced the battery and refitted the screen. Fit perfectly flat afterwards. I still have that phone and it's fine.

Apple salesmen will always push a customer to buy a new iPhone instead of fixing an old one. Find out what the repair will cost and ignore the warnings they give you. They want to sell phones, not fix them
You are very fortunate. Had the shop punctured the battery during the replacement, you may have found that shop featured on your local news because of an explosion and fire.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Yes, the issue is that Best Buy was supposed to accept my phone and send to apple but they refused making it a wasted trip. I finally got a very helpful Apple rep on the phone who got my repair started and charged a $79 tentative battery replacement fee. She says unless they find that I caused my phone damage, that they would just send me a new phone once they get mine. Really hoping that’s all!

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, the issue is that Best Buy was supposed to accept my phone and send to apple but they refused making it a wasted trip. I finally got a very helpful Apple rep on the phone who got my repair started and charged a $79 tentative battery replacement fee. She says unless they find that I caused my phone damage, that they would just send me a new phone once they get mine. Really hoping that’s all!
That SHOULD be all. Any damage to the screen is a result of the pressure of the battery pressing against it. I have pictures I've posted here of light leak from my display because it had lifted up far enough that the gap let it shine through.

So, all you should be charged is the battery replacement fee.

Reactions: quamsi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.