Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I am very tempted by the X and probably will break down and get one at some point. But, my love affair with the SE is still strong and I wonder if I'd miss what a great phone this is. The size is SO nice after using my 6S plus for nearly 2 years.

Now, I know Apple will only make phones they can sell a lot of but I keep imagining the SE with the same form as the X. Keeping the same footprint/size of the SE but maybe a 4.3 inch bezeless screen (or more?) would be so fantastic. I can even picture it.

I do like a bigger screen but the SE is, to me, an almost perfect phone.

And no, they shouldn't call it the SEX if they make it!

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Don't know why the same thought hadn't occurred to me already, but I completely agree.

I'm still on the fence about the size of the X (I've opined that I could more easily justify a bigger phone now that my Watch has taken its place as my first-go-to gadget), but I can imagine that they'd want to keep the same SE size since it's still a significant seller.

The tech packed in the X's notch might end up full-width on an SE-sized chassis, further complicating what to do with the upper right and left corners. Or maybe everything could get smaller, too.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I agree. The size of the SE is perfect but I just upgraded to the X. It’s a great upgrade but a full screen SE would be perfect.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I just want gesture controls on the current SE. It could happen with a future software update. That's all I care about. Animoji has as much use to me as 3D Touch and Siri. Face ID is no better or worse than Touch ID.

SE still has a metal rear that doesn't get sticky over time and a headphone jack. Watching PhoneBuff's drop test makes me appreciate the home button. In case I drop it hard on the floor, the physical home button is another alternative to use the phone. The rear glass is also $529 to replace. No thanks.

X is mostly hype because of its new form factor when it isn't any better looking than a S7 edge or S8. And being an anniversary iPhone with the letter X helps its appeal. Beyond that, it's not worth its price and not worth making Apple more arrogant by raising it even more.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm not sure Apple ever venture on the path of iPhone SE X, but it's a nice thought. I still think the iPhone SE was a one time offer and may or may not be revamped in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.