Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Just wanted to check if its the case with other users on iPhone X as well; Off-late, the phone stutters a lot especially when scrolling youtube page, or swiping to close the apps.

sometimes, on imessage as well, it struggles to scroll smoothly. keyboard stutters few times.

Any known fix? would hate to reset the phone and install all the apps again but, if that's the only choice then will spend a weekend doing it.

thx.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
Periodically my X does the same with some apps. Powering down the phone and booting back up fixes it for me

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Mine has been stuttering a bit more than usual as of late. Not consistently but there are times when it seem as if it's struggling to keep up. I chalk it up to the older processor trying to keep up with the newer OS. It's not really a big issue for me as the phone still works incredibly well for the most part. I've rebooted my phone but the problem periodically comes back. I'm not sure that it is something that can be 'fixed' - the phone is almost 4 years old at this point.

Reactions: snipr125

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Other than keeping a general eye on the iPhone‘s battery health and storage the only other thing that comes to mind is the occasional, regular, restart.

Sometimes starting fresh with an empty phone is a good idea as you can get rid of the clutter.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It’s iOS14... Forum members are complaining about stuttering with a multitude of devices since iOS14 was released (12 series included).. Hopefully Apple will clean it up in updates in the future

Reactions: LFC2020

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
thanks all; restart is something i've been doing all this while. I usually restart the devices every sunday, have been doing it for a long time.

battery health is 85%; it could be an issue but, phone says that is is performing at peak capacity at the moment.
For now, will see how the week goes and then, if i am super bored on the weekend, will go ahead and reset it, set it up as new. ??

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
OP, has this started recently? Like within this past week?

I noticed it myself and it was SUPER smooth before. I'd already have been updated to 14.4 weeks ago, but this started within these past few days. Youtube app was especially noticeable but they dropped an update today so maybe that was an emergency fix because the stuttering from miniaturizing a video playing looked terrible.

It seems to have fixed it in the youtube app.

Maybe this has something to do with iCloud? It can't be coincidence that it just happened recently to me too.

Last edited:

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
OP, has this started recently? Like within this past week?

I noticed it myself and it was SUPER smooth before. I'd already have been updated to 14.4 weeks ago, but this started within these past few days. Youtube app was especially noticeable but they dropped an update today so maybe that was an emergency fix because the stuttering from miniaturizing a video playing looked terrible.

It seems to have fixed it in the youtube app.

Maybe this has something to do with iCloud? It can't be coincidence that it just happened recently to me too.
Yes. It started or at least I observed it from last few days. Hope just as you said, is more of an app issue only. Thx.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
People are reporting the stutter is gone on the 12 series running the latest beta 14.5 beta 2, maybe someone with a iPhone X can confirm this.

realized my iPad Pro 12.9” has had a bit of stutter scrolling through some apps and safari, most likely iOS 14.4 is the culprit, was running fine before 14.4.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
so, i got a youtube app update today and at-least so far, seems to be a lot better. happy to find that it is really an app issue and not because of the old device.

even though i got myself 12, i just cannot reduce my love for iphone X. and want to keep it going as long as possible.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
so, i got a youtube app update today and at-least so far, seems to be a lot better. happy to find that it is really an app issue and not because of the old device.

even though i got myself 12, i just cannot reduce my love for iphone X. and want to keep it going as long as possible.
iPhone X still has plenty left in the tank, considering the iPhone 7 still runs smoothly these days, the iPhone X will be fine for years to come.

Apple really has the completion by the balls when it comes to the longevity of their devices.

Reactions: ParagJain

winxdon

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
I have just replaced the battery at Genius Bar and helped the stutter.

The old battery was showing 86% health but it was draining a lot faster than say 2 years ago so I thought it’s about time to replace the 3+ year old battery.

Well it fixed the minor stutter I had and I didn’t expect that.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have just replaced the battery at Genius Bar and helped the stutter.

The old battery was showing 86% health but it was draining a lot faster than say 2 years ago so I thought it’s about time to replace the 3+ year old battery.

Well it fixed the minor stutter I had and I didn’t expect that.
My X is showing 82%. I'm due for a visit to the Apple store for a battery replacement this summer. It's showing the Service notification in the battery section but I haven't had any shutdowns or performance issues (still lasts a whole day easily) but it deserves some maintenance as it's been a wonderful phone for almost three and a half years

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I am at 85% battery capacity; everything runs smoothly except youtube app; only this one stutters when scrolling up and down.

Its my secondary phone so i don't bother too much about it. Like said above, X has really been a superb phone and i personally love it still as much as I did 3 years back...cant think of giving it away..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.