Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisd999

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
Picked up the iPhone X Friday and went for 2 long outdoor winter walks this weekend, and at the end of each walk I removed the iPhone from my pocket to find out the camera was on, and it had taken a number of photos (on first walk) and videos (on 2nd walk) while inside my pocket, wearing down the battery in the process. The lock screen was still locked in both instances. This never happened with any of my previous iPhones (7+, 6+, 5), so I'm looking for help on how to prevent this, short of disabling the camera altogether in settings/general/restrictions.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I imagine this happened from force touching the camera button on the lock screen. That still must be pretty hard to do unless you have other things in your pocket or you keep putting pressure on hat specific button from outside your pocket. I wonder what your setup is to align those stars. It’s never happened to me so I don’t know what situation your pocket is in for that to happen. I don’t know how to disable the camera or change the lock screen for that matter.

Chrisd999

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
I imagine this happened from force touching the camera button on the lock screen. That still must be pretty hard to do unless you have other things in your pocket or you keep putting pressure on hat specific button from outside your pocket. I wonder what your setup is to align those stars. It’s never happened to me so I don’t know what situation your pocket is in for that to happen. I don’t know how to disable the camera or change the lock screen for that matter.
Just to add more info, I normally carry it in my jeans front pocket with the screen facing my leg. There is nothing else in my pocket. Like I said, this never happened once in the same situation with older iPhone models over several years, and now it happened twice in 2 days with the X.

Chrisd999

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
Picked up the iPhone X Friday and went for 2 long outdoor winter walks this weekend, and at the end of each walk I removed the iPhone from my pocket to find out the camera was on, and it had taken a number of photos (on first walk) and videos (on 2nd walk) while inside my pocket, wearing down the battery in the process. The lock screen was still locked in both instances. This never happened with any of my previous iPhones (7+, 6+, 5), so I'm looking for help on how to prevent this, short of disabling the camera altogether in settings/general/restrictions.

Just to add more info, I normally carry it in my jeans front pocket with the screen facing my leg. There is nothing else in my pocket. Like I said, this never happened once in the same situation with older iPhone models over several years, and now it happened twice in 2 days with the X.

After more time to look into this, I’m pretty sure this was caused either by a tap-to-wake or raise-to-wake in my pocket followed by a force-touch of the camera on the locked screen. Most likely tap-to-wake is activating.

I’ve disabled the tap-to-wake and decreased the sensitivity of 3D touch, so we’ll see if that solves it.

Last edited:

Chrisd999

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
I keep my X in a fairly tight sleeve, and the pressure does not activate 3D Touch.
A sleeve is not my preferred option unless all else fails. Thanks for the idea.

I guess I could also try carrying it in my pocket with screen facing outward, and my leg won’t be as likely to activate the camera in the lock screen.

ex android dan

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2015

I guess I could also try carrying it in my pocket with screen facing outward, and my leg won’t be as likely to activate the camera in the lock screen.

That was going to be my suggestion.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
After more time to look into this, I’m pretty sure this was caused either by a tap-to-wake or raise-to-wake in my pocket followed by a force-touch of the camera on the locked screen. Most likely tap-to-wake is activating.

I’ve disabled the tap-to-wake and decreased the sensitivity of 3D touch, so we’ll see if that solves it.
I turned off tap to wake. It just seems like a battery drain issue waiting to happen. I would think this would work since it removes one more possible way to activate the screen and subsequent force touch camera. And also, I've never had this happen on my X with that setting off.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL

I found a cheap sleeve on Amazon with credit card slots on the back. It replaced my wallet. The phone fits in the sleeve with a super thin case I use to prevent scratches on that stainless steel.

I know you would only consider a sleeve as a last resort, but here’s a link if you’re interested: https://www.amazon.com/Dockem-Provincial-Synthetic-Professional-Executive/dp/B073RQ78TQ

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I found a cheap sleeve on Amazon with credit card slots on the back. It replaced my wallet. The phone fits in the sleeve with a super thin case I use to prevent scratches on that stainless steel.

I know you would only consider a sleeve as a last resort, but here’s a link if you’re interested: https://www.amazon.com/Dockem-Provincial-Synthetic-Professional-Executive/dp/B073RQ78TQ

I bought one of these and returned after a couple of weeks. The design is flawed at the top corners being open, exposing the phone. One drop and the corners of your phone will look like

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I carry my iPhone in exactly the same way and the camera has never activated on its own. There were a few times where I placed the phone in my pocket without the lock screen down and an app opened but that was carelessness on my part. I've never had it activate any app from a locked screen on my X.

If this keeps happening I'd take it to a genius and ask about it. If they can't determine the cause I'd return it and repurchase a new one. I know that's a nuclear option but it's one that will expire once the return window is closed.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
My iPhone X would do things like bring up Apple Pay in my pocket all by itself.

I shut off raise you wake and never had an issue since.
[doublepost=1513611024][/doublepost]
I turned off tap to wake. It just seems like a battery drain issue waiting to happen. I would think this would work since it removes one more possible way to activate the screen and subsequent force touch camera. And also, I've never had this happen on my X with that setting off.

I did the opposite. Kept tap to wake on but shut off raise to wake. Either one may do the trick

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
I also carry my phone like this all the time and never seen this happen. Do you have any other bluetooth devices connected, like an Apple Watch or something else? Apple Watch could also bring up the camera.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I had it on my 6 for a couple of years without issue. Been using it on my X since launch.

If it drops with that open side on the ground then you’ll realise what I’m talking about. Happened to me. Got it replaced and now on a solid bumper case.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
If it drops with that open side on the ground then you’ll realise what I’m talking about. Happened to me. Got it replaced and now on a solid bumper case.
Im not worried about dropping the phone. I’m mostly looking for scratch protection. I handle expensive lenses and photography gear all the time. I’m just careful and don’t drop things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.