Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whosdnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2023
Hello everyone, I was given an iphone X that was dropped in a toilet. Phone stopped turning on. I opened it and (surprisingly) i was the first person that did so. I found green corrosion on most of the connectors, i cleaned them with 70% alcohol, but the phone still doesnt turn on. What could be the issue?

whosdnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2023
i don't know about that, the phone had the factory seal so not that much water entered. maybe if i dip the board into alcohol and let it sit, maybe then it will fix it. i was thinking about buying a locked phone and replacing broken parts but if this is the case (dead phone) then i'll sell it for parts and get myself something nice with the money that i get lol

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
i don't know about that, the phone had the factory seal so not that much water entered. maybe if i dip the board into alcohol and let it sit, maybe then it will fix it. i was thinking about buying a locked phone and replacing broken parts but if this is the case (dead phone) then i'll sell it for parts and get myself something nice with the money that i get lol

The factory seal is rubber and degrades over time. Also, the level of water resistance depends on the liquid it's being immersed in and amount of pressure. The fact that there's corrosion on most connectors suggests it was lot of liquid from a while ago.

whosdnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2023
The factory seal is rubber and degrades over time. Also, the level of water resistance depends on the liquid it's being immersed in and amount of pressure. The fact that there's corrosion on most connectors suggests it was lot of liquid from a while ago.
it was a light layer of corrosion, so i don't think it got into the motherboard. someone said that the battery might be the culprit. i might get lucky dunking the motherboard and dock connector into 70% alcohol and letting them dry overnight. i ran out of ideas on what to do. any advice on how i can fix this?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
it was a light layer of corrosion, so i don't think it got into the motherboard. someone said that the battery might be the culprit. i might get lucky dunking the motherboard and dock connector into 70% alcohol and letting them dry overnight. i ran out of ideas on what to do. any advice on how i can fix this?

Without tools or parts or Refox software, it's near impossible. The first step a repair shop takes is removing the logic board completely from everything else. The board is connected to DC power and checked for leakage current across connectors and components. Resistance values compared against known good values.

You can do the basics and wash the board with high purity alcohol. But if there's a lot of corrosion, the connector(s) need to be replaced. Other components can be corroded internally and washing is ineffective.

whosdnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2023
Without tools or parts or Refox software, it's near impossible. The first step a repair shop takes is removing the logic board completely from everything else. The board is connected to DC power and checked for leakage current across connectors and components. Resistance values compared against known good values.

You can do the basics and wash the board with high purity alcohol. But if there's a lot of corrosion, the connector(s) need to be replaced. Other components can be corroded internally and washing is ineffective.
there wasn't much corrosion, other than on the connectors, the phone looked fine. if this doesn't work, i'll sell it for parts. if you know any more methods tell me lol

whosdnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2023

update: dipped the mobo in 70% alcohol and it turned on. but it has 4 lines on the display, and its stuck in recovery mode. the phone boots to the apple logo, screen glitches, then reboots into recovery mode, flashing it did not fix the problem

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
update: dipped the mobo in 70% alcohol and it turned on. but it has 4 lines on the display, and its stuck in recovery mode. the phone boots to the apple logo, screen glitches, then reboots into recovery mode, flashing it did not fix the problem
If you can get any money out of any of the components, that’s your best bet at this point. Otherwise you’re just wasting time.

whosdnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2023
If you can get any money out of any of the components, that’s your best bet at this point. Otherwise you’re just wasting time.
i like wasting time and tinkering with tech. will (hopefully) post update here after the second dip in alcohol (im gonna leave it overnight)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.