Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Has anyone encountered a problem with the original Apple USB-C to Lightning cables, that causes the Lightning plug to wiggle and disconnect while charging?

I have two identical 2 m. cables that do this, while the pack-in USB to Lightning cable, or any other for that matter, isn't loose enough to be able to disconnect while moving the phone.

Both of these cables have been purchased at an Apple Store so they are definitely original and both are in perfect shape, so no go there either. The plugs seem to be the same size as the one on the regular USB cable, so no go there either although I guess even an imperceptible difference in size may cause this.

I'm on a business trip right now, but I guess I'll be visiting the store to sort this out - these are too expensive to work only in certain conditions - flat on a table with the cable completely undisturbed and wound on the desk, no dangling. ;)

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Have you checked to see if the female cable ends have dust in them?
Yes, I've even used compressed air to clean it out, but the Lightning port and the plug from the USB-C cable just don't seem like a proper fit. The Lightning plug wiggles a lot more in the iPhone's port than the one from the original pack-in USB cable. There's definitely something wrong here, but I just can't believe that I bought two cables form Apple, and I seem to be the only one affected by it on the forum.
And it's not like the iPhone X is the only device affected. The same goes for my iPad Pro 12.9 now that I checked and my iPhone 6s, so it's a design fault without a doubt.

MrgG11

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
I have noticed this with both my chargers. Completely new and unused. This must just be a problem at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.