Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ugene425

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2020
Dear readers

Yup I still have my 256GB iPhone X! Sadly the front facing camera does not work and the battery can barely get through a day without extra charge. I did have the battery replaced about two years ago. I have been on the fence looking to upgrade as would like a better camera and battery life etc. Despite the 15 Pro Max looking a really good phone, we are now approximately four months away from the launch of the new iPhone 16 range. My question, is it worth the wait? I know the 16 PM will be slightly wider and longer than the 15 PM and more expensive upon launch. As you can see, I am steering towards the Pro Max range to gain the slightly better camera, larger screen and improved battery life.

Also given the significant upgrade in camera megapixel, I was thinking of getting the 512GB, over the 256GB as like to keep the phone for approximately 5 years before thinking of upgrading. I don't want to run out of memory 2-3 years later down the line from owning the phone and then be forced to upgrade again.

Thank you for your time in reading this and will look forward to hearing your comments.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Good question, I think its more down to if you can wait.
Personally I would do it, your X still get security and bug updates updates for iOS 16 so the device is safe to use.

Maybe the regular 16 is a good replacement for your X, it will still be a better phone in most aspects.
There's rumors that the regular 16 will get more internal memory options too, so it might be offered with 512.

Maybe you can get a powerbank until you have the new phone?

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

Ugene425

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2020
Thanks RB. My X cannot get the very latest IOS as it is too old now. This means my new Air Pods (2nd Gen) and 3 year old Apple watch cannot make the most of their software given this. That all said, I think I will wait until the 16 is launched and then look to treat myself to the Pro Max! I am sure I will notice a big difference in the overall performance!

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Coming from the X you’re going to see huge improvements whether you go for the 15PM or the 16PM, excellent cameras, performance & battery life. Even the 6.1” Pro models will give a huge boost in all these areas.

If you can hold onto your X for 4 more months then you may as well get the 16PM.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
If your phone is falling apart then do it now.

If you can wait a few months it is heavily rumoured that the regular 16 Pro will get the 5x camera. The extra screen space isn't all its cracked up to be. I found it just induced joint pain and was too big for my jeans.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I can’t answer “Is it worth waiting for the 16 Pro Max?” because 1) we don’t know anything/much about it yet and 2) you know what you want and expect from your device. With that said, in the realm of technology, it’s almost always better if you can wait — even if the benefit is getting the previous model at further discounted price.

Dear readers

Yup I still have my 256GB iPhone X!
Same.
I did have the battery replaced about two years ago. I have been on the fence looking to upgrade as would like a better camera and battery life etc.
My X had an unfortunate accident of tumbling down the road a bit after falling out of its slim case and a bicycle mount. To Apple’s design credit (i.e., steel frame, etc), the only real damage was scuffs and cracks on the rear glass. Unfortunately, therefore, a battery replacement would be more expensive and probably only available via a third-party repair shop (even if an authorized one).

As you can see, I am steering towards the Pro Max range to gain the slightly better camera, larger screen and improved battery life.

Also given the significant upgrade in camera megapixel, I was thinking of getting the 512GB, over the 256GB as like to keep the phone for approximately 5 years before thinking of upgrading. I don't want to run out of memory 2-3 years later down the line from owning the phone and then be forced to upgrade again.
I had similar conclusions last year. However, I was hesitant. Beyond the “ugh” of cost, I have always thought the Plus and Pro Max versions appeared unwieldily. Even so, I gave in because every model is now larger than the X — the iPhone SE is not an option as I upgraded to the X from a 6 for the True Depth camera system/Face ID and the nearly borderless display (i.e., larger display in the same/similar body form and size.)

Anyway… Here are a couple of comparisons I’ve done:

P.S. I’ve become accustomed to the iPhone Pro Max (including with the moderately thick case). Nonetheless, when occasionally using the X again, the size and weight is more comfortable to handle. No, I don’t regret going Pro Max, just wish I could have the best of both, iPhone X and 15 Pro Max feature fusion.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I upgraded my X to the 15 PM and couldn't be happier. At this point whether you choose the 15PM or 16PM it will be a significant upgrade in every respect. I didn't realize how much of a difference until I got my 15PM. If you need or want a phone now get the 15PM, if you're ok with waiting then get the 16PM. Regardless if you wait and decide you don't like the 16PM for whatever reason you can always pickup a 15 PM through 3rd party sources..

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The iPhone 16 will launch with iOS 18, “the most ambitious iOS update in history”. All those words can be condensed into three: TONS OF BUGS.

Maybe iOS 18 will be ok next summer, but it’s 100% guaranteed to be a rough ride for half the year.

The iPhone 16 will probably be good, but the OS is ships with in the beginning of the year most definitely will not.

My vote: buy an iPhone 15 now. iOS 17 now has most of its glaring problems resolved.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
The iPhone 16 will launch with iOS 18, “the most ambitious iOS update in history”. All those words can be condensed into three: TONS OF BUGS.

Maybe iOS 18 will be ok next summer, but it’s 100% guaranteed to be a rough ride for half the year.

The iPhone 16 will probably be good, but the OS is ships with in the beginning of the year most definitely will not.

My vote: buy an iPhone 15 now. iOS 17 now has most of its glaring problems resolved.
A worthy contemplation. And, indeed, this was a factor but more so about when I should purchase the latest iPhone (i.e., at launch or wait a few months). Knock on wood, iOS 17.0 went fine for me.

P.S. I’m intending to hold out until the .2 or .3 OS versions before upgrading as I did with iOS 16 and macOS 13.

Reactions: now i see it
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.