Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Call me dumb, but I'm confused about the volume controls on my new iPhone X with ios 11. The side buttons change one volume and the slider inside the control center changes a different volume. How do I know which changes what? And does it depend on whether I'm just on the home screen or inside an app or watching/listening to media, or on a call, etc. How do I know which volume control does what at any given time? I've also always been confused by the ringer volume. Are there other sounds effected by ringer volume, such as alarms, etc. How do I know which sounds are effected by which volume controls?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It can be confusing. Mainly it depends on what you are doing at the time and will usually tell you as you are adjusting it. To adjust Siri you need to have Siri speaking, for music volume music should be playing etc. Takes a little experimenting.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
It can be confusing. Mainly it depends on what you are doing at the time and will usually tell you as you are adjusting it. To adjust Siri you need to have Siri speaking, for music volume music should be playing etc. Takes a little experimenting.

Yes, thank you. But again, which volume? The side buttons or the control center? And if I want to change the volume of something BEFORE I use it so as not to disturb people how do I know which volume I'm changing? For example the phone ringer, or alarms, or media before I watch it, etc.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I don't think you can really adjust it in silence. You need to be listening to it to really know what you are doing.

Edit: You can adjust the ringer in silence as that seems to be the default setting when on the home screen.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
The volume buttons normally only controls the audio level. Same using in the control panel. The ringer and alert volume are control only under Settings > Sounds and Haptics. If you enable “Change with Buttons” there, you then can also use the volume buttons to change the ringer and alert level when no audio is playing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.