Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I have an XR. I gave my wife a 13 to replace her X. I was planning on adopting the X as my phone.

The only thing I don't like about the XR is the lack of optical zoom.The X has a telephoto lens and 2X optical zoom.

The X has a better display and higher pixel density, but the XR is slightly bigger, has longer battery life and more processing power.

Looking at the phones side by side, I can see no difference between the two when viewing tiny text or HDR photos. I mainly use my phone for reading and for photos.

Now I'm thinking of just keeping the XR.

Am I missing anything?

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
How are the battery lives for the XR and X? I believe X used to have the best battery life among the lineups in 2018. Not sure if it’s worst now in 2021 with iOS 15.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
In iOS 15 there are several features that are not available to the iPhone X that ARE available on the XR. You might want to look into that as well.

How are the battery lives for the XR and X? I believe X used to have the best battery life among the lineups in 2018. Not sure if it’s worst now in 2021 with iOS 15.
The XS had worse battery life than the XR and the X and XS are pretty similar in that regard (according to Apple the XS has very slightly longer battery life than the regular X). XR should outlast either of them.

Reactions: Buadhai

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
The XS had worse battery life than the XR and the X and XS are pretty similar in that regard (according to Apple the XS has very slightly longer battery life than the regular X). XR should outlast either of them.

I heard the XR suffered from battery drain on iOS 15. But yes the XR always had the best battery life until iPhone 11 came out.

radow

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2021
iPhone XR performs better in everyday life, except for screen brightness (iPhone X is brighter, more comfortable to use outdoors) and lack of a telephoto camera.

Edit: typo

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Thanks to all for your thoughts and for taking the time to reply.

I'll stick with the XR. As I said, the only downside for me is the lack of a telephoto lens. I can live with that until I decide to spring for a 13 Pro. Coming "real soon now". (To quote Jerry Pournelle.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.