Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bosen2017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Hello,

i'm experiencing a very strange bug, my iPhone X (64GB) sometimes seems to update itself over night. If i wake up and check my phone i got this white 'Hello/Hola etc. welcome to iPhone screen' and have to agree to the terms and conditions of Apple. Then I can continue to use the Phone normally.

This ONLY happens at night, (I charge my phone over night), I'm on iOS 11.2 and it's already my second X as i exchanged my first one (256GB) since the bug was so bad that it appeared every night. Background App refresh etc. is turned off.

Has anybody had this issue before? I already contacted the Apple Support and they seem to be as clueless as me. I really don't know what to do anymore since i already exchanged the Phone and it still seems to be an issue. Maybe my backup is faulty?

Thanx & Greetings

Bosen2017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Possible, but wouldn't I be asked to unlock my SIM with my SIM-code in that case? Because all i have to do is Face ID & swipe up and agree to the Terms & Conditions. It also says 'update completed'. Then i can just use it as before, no PIN numbers or Passcodes required.
Completely resetting the phone doesn't help either as i did that twice with my first X... Really strange :(

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
Did u setup your iphone X as a new mobile or from a backup? This sounds like a corrupted backup. I never ever use backups for new iphones. Like this im mostly avoiding many issues other users have. If you did setup from backup, try to set it up new. I know alot if work. But it’s worth it, to have a perfect mobile afterwards.

Bosen2017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah I did use my backup because of all my conversations etc., but maybe setting it up as new seems to be a solution. The strange thing is that my new X worked flawless for the first 5 days and now suddenly out of nowhere this annoying bug is back.
I would be so mad if I go through the pain of setting everything up as new just to discover this weird bug again. It's not that I can't use the phone but something obviously isn't right.
I've used iPhones and Apple Gear for over a decade now and never had any of these issues. If I pay over 1000 € for a smartphone i can't accept such things.

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
Yeah I did use my backup because of all my conversations etc., but maybe setting it up as new seems to be a solution. The strange thing is that my new X worked flawless for the first 5 days and now suddenly out of nowhere this annoying bug is back.
I would be so mad if I go through the pain of setting everything up as new just to discover this weird bug again. It's not that I can't use the phone but something obviously isn't right.
I've used iPhones and Apple Gear for over a decade now and never had any of these issues. If I pay over 1000 € for a smartphone i can't accept such things.

I feel you. Knocking on wood, my iPhone X behaves since day one like a champ. But im also careful what i install and what not. Like when the youtube app was causing the x to get unusual hot. I stopped using it, till a update solved this issue. The same goes with your mobile now. Maybe it’s hardware, maybe it’s a faulty backup. But 1200 Euro are just to much to keep guessing. Try a clean install. If the problems persist, you know there is something wrong hardware wise. If everything works fine, you know your backup was corrupted.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

Just try resetting settings (not all content though), that normally fixes any weirdness after restoring from a backup.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hello,

i'm experiencing a very strange bug, my iPhone X (64GB) sometimes seems to update itself over night. If i wake up and check my phone i got this white 'Hello/Hola etc. welcome to iPhone screen' and have to agree to the terms and conditions of Apple. Then I can continue to use the Phone normally.

This ONLY happens at night, (I charge my phone over night), I'm on iOS 11.2 and it's already my second X as i exchanged my first one (256GB) since the bug was so bad that it appeared every night. Background App refresh etc. is turned off.

Has anybody had this issue before? I already contacted the Apple Support and they seem to be as clueless as me. I really don't know what to do anymore since i already exchanged the Phone and it still seems to be an issue. Maybe my backup is faulty?

Thanx & Greetings
Just as someone already commented, swapping SIM cards does this. I swap my sim from a 5S to the X because I'm still insure I will keep the X and wait next year, and I often have to agree to terms and agreements of certain apps.

Bosen2017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Thank you for your advice guys, I will try to just reset the settings first. If that fails I will set it up as new and hope everything works. The last possibility is a faulty SIM card, if nothing works I will go back to my 6S and leave it be... I'm pretty annoyed at this point :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.